Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Difficulty with 3D Extrude & Bevel Effect

Feb 12, 2013 8:14 AM

Tags: #illustrator #effects #cs6 #extrude #3d_effects

First, the ubiquitous information:

I am using Adobe Illustrator CS6 v. 16.0.3 32-bit on a Win XP sp3 OS

Now, the project:  A 50th Wedding Anniversary invitation for my parents.

I am trying to create two interlocking hearts that will have one or more extrude & bevel effects applied.  (Think jewelry style hearts.)  I need an area thick enough to apply the E&B effect, but need the center of the hearts to have no fill (as opposed to white fill).

To create the hearts I started with a circle - black stroke, no fill - and added/moved anchor points to create the assymetric heart shape I wanted.  Then, I created a second smaller heart the same way, located inside the larger heart to create the inside and outside edge of the shape.  Both are on the same layer.  I then selected both paths and used "Object/Compound Path/Make" so that the two paths make the inner and outer edges of the heart.  I then used the Appearance pallet, setting the stroke to the desired shade and fill to a slightly lighter shade.  This gives me the "flat" look that I want...

However, when I try to apply the 3D effect, it only applies to the strokes and not the fill, which is NOT what I'm trying to achieve. I have also changed the stroke to "none" and tried to apply the effect, but there is no effect.

I also tried making two solid shapes as hearts, filling the larger with color and the smaller with a fill of "none" but the transparent nature of the smaller heart simply lets the fill from the larger show through.

Where did I go wrong in the design?  I've included a screenshot below.

Thanks for any assistance!

hearts.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 11:49 AM   in reply to SusanSherman

Please provide a legible screenshot.

If something is highlighted in the appearance apnel when selecting an effect, the effect will only be applied to the selected element (e.g. a stroke or a fill). You can move the effect around after applying. See the manual on the appearance panel.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to SusanSherman

You just need to move the effect to the object level in the appearance panel.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points