Skip navigation
monoist
Currently Being Moderated

Architectural photography lighting and retouching

Feb 12, 2013 8:56 AM

Tags: #photoshop #lighting #retouch #interior

I would like to ask a question about architectural photography lighting and retouching tecqniques.

You can see some sample sites below:

http://atticfire.com/hotelresort

http://www.vrxstudios.com

These photos are very impressive and possibly taken as HDR.

The question is; this transformation can be possible just photoshop retouching even using light?

It looks like 3D rendering or PS drawing but we don't sure.

Is it Photoshop Plug-In or what kind of technique is it?

Do you have any idea? Or any supporting products?

Some samples also shown below:

Thank you.

Murat

ba-02.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to monoist

A couple of clues: 1. In the image you posted, when opened in Photoshop, there are several paths, possibly used to aid retouching. 2. The added "light source" is very suspect, not matching any light source in the original photo (see attached - where is that light?). My guess is that it was all done using traditional retouching techniques in Photoshop, without the use of 3D. But that's just a guess. And yes, it was probably HDR, and probably retouched in 16-bit.

Note reddish lines, projecting flat-plane shadows on the floor to the non-existent light-source ...

ba-02-source.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 4:18 PM   in reply to monoist

Murat,

I am pretty sure there were multiple photos with different light conditions (please note the table shadows). Photos were combined later in the final composition with color correction and enchansement involving or not HDR workflow (16 or 32 bit photos can provide a lot of room for tweaking themselfs).

I have the experience of that kind of images. Here is a good sample of how that can be done: http://www.euphoria-imaging.com/portfolio/interior-hotel-marriott.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 10:43 PM   in reply to monoist

Murat,

Interior retouching for hotels is much like many other forms of image manipulation: it requires good source photography, each photo with 5-7 exposures to get HDR, a good eye, and knowledge of general retouching/enhancement techniques. As in other kinds of image development work, the artist learns what works for his client's success, and develops techniques and procedures to accomplish those goals. Although there may not be many (or any?) tutorials out there for the very specific hotel interior market, it is possible to learn about the many capabilities Photoshop has for image development, which apply to many markets.

I learned, for example, how to get great HDR from an 8-bit desktop scanner in my efforts to restore antique photographs. I did this by learning what HDR is and how it is created by photographers, and then applying that knowledge to imagery from a source other than a camera. At the moment, not all tools are available for retouching in 32-bit in Photoshop, but 16-bit allows a great amount of flexibility and control over the image data. As you learn about Photoshop, I'm sure you will be able to apply that knowledge to whatever kind of work you choose to do.

Your sensitivity to what looks real and what looks artificial will serve you well as you develop knowledge, techniques, and procedures.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention: HDR Efex Pro 2 is an excellent tool.

Message was edited by: DrStrik9

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 12:54 PM   in reply to monoist

Murat,

For HDR merging I used HDR Pro build in Photoshop. The aim was not special-looking effect but to get 16bit document with a lot of details in shadows and highlights. Then I used dodge-and-burn technique to bring more attention to desired details.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points