Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Hidden Buttons and Forms Printing CS6

Feb 12, 2013 12:18 PM

Tags: #button #indesign #event #printing #printable #interactive_pdf #hidden_until_triggered #on_click #buttons_and_forms #show/hide_buttons_and_forms

I'm not exactly sure how to word this but I have buttons and forms that are printing when they are not supposed to.

This is my indd file:

indd.PNG

If you can see, there are 3 sections, each identical except for the fact that they have different states. If someone wants Hat 2 section, there is a button that turns on the visibility of 2 combo boxes, a text box, 6 check boxes, some normal buttons (just text and art, but they need to be buttons in order to activated with an action), and toggles the view of another button that can add another hat... kinda hard to explain, but think of it like an online form. If you need more info, clicking the button add another row.

The issue that I'm having is that I do not want the forms that are not being used to be printed. If I don't toggle their visibility, they should be invisible and not print. This form could have anywhere from 1-20 of the forms being used at different times. They are all set to be hidden until triggered and they do exactly what I want them to and it works perfectly, until I go to print.

This is my exported pdf:

pdf.PNG

One row of info, the button to add a second.

Here is what it looks like when I go to print this without touching anything:

print.PNG

As you can see in the preview screen, all of the rows that I have made in the indd file are being shown as set to print. This should not be happening, but I figured maybe it was a glitch so I printed it anyway, and this came out:

IMG_20130212_135711.jpg

..... Now you can see my issue. Maybe. Hopefully.

HOWEVER. If I so modify the document, e.g. clck on the "add hat" button and then remove it, the document prints as it should. The problem is that this document will need to be set up so that the entire page is filled with invisible forms that are just waiting to be activated, but not printed.

Wow that's a lot of info. Hopefully I was clear. Thanks for reading this all if you're still with me.

Win7 sp1, CS6, InDesign 8.0.1, 12 gigs ram, x64

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to TomJohn

I'm confused by your description. Generally, interactive PDF forms are intended to be used online. If you choose File > Export > PDF (Interactive), does the exported form work the way you expect.

Where is the printing taking place? Within InDesign? Within Acrobat Pro after you've exported the form?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to TomJohn

Have you looked at the printing attributes for your form fields when they're in Acrobat Pro? Just because you set them the way you want in InDesign doesn't mean that they haven't been changed on  the way from InDesign to Acrobat. Remember, that the forms creation feature in InDesign is version 1, and there are probably bugs. You may need to set the printing attributes within Acrobat Pro. If they're set correctly in Acrobat Pro, then you should probably ask about it on the Acrobat forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 2:55 PM   in reply to TomJohn

You can try exporting IDML from Indesign and see if new file behaves the same way. I have noticed that documents with many interactive elements can sometimes become broken, especially with modifying, saving, etc. And the IDML might cleanup any corruption.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to TomJohn

I downloaded your PDF and in Acrobat, the properties of all the hidden forms are applied "Hidden but printable". This does exactly that, even though the form is hidden, it will still print. In Acrobat, you can change the property to "Hidden". And this does what you want, the fields remain hidden until activated, and will not print unless visible.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points