Skip navigation
Hayhay911
Currently Being Moderated

Saved files as .PSD now they are "Windows Shell Common Dll" and won't open?

Feb 12, 2013 12:46 PM

I am having a problem with opening some files in Photoshop. I am using Photoshop CS5.1 Extended (Version 12.1) and have Windows 7 64 bit SP1 OS.

I am trying to open a few templates I made in PhotoShop for a client and they worked fine when I used them 3 weeks ago. All were saved as .psd documents. Now when I go to open them they no longer have the PS icon (to show they would be opened by PhotoShop). When I try to open them I get "Could not complete your request because it is not the right type of document." I have had this problem once before but it is confusing to me because 2 of the other similar .psd files I saved at the same timeframe(separate elements for the temlate) are perfectly fine, only the ones I need do not want to open.

I checked file properties and it claims these files are now Windows Shell Common Dll files. Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to Hayhay911

I'm experiencing the same exact issue, except I am using CS4. My other .psd documents are fine; it seems as though I'm only experiencing the issue with a certain set of documents that worked fine in the past. Each document I am having an issue with was a saved revision of the document prior (updated the document and saved with a different title). To test, I created a new document yesterday with an image from Google. That file saved fine, but as soon as I made the slightest revision and saved with a different name, I tried to save and it did not save properly. Hopefully someone will be able to explain these issues and help us out!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 2:08 PM   in reply to Hayhay911

That sounds like the file don't have the correct extension, or that the PSD extension has been incorrectly associated with another application.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 2:20 PM   in reply to Hayhay911

What are the actual file extensions (the part past the . which is normally hidden by Windows)?

Everyone I know who uses Window for serious work changes the setting in the Folder Properties to show the file extensions.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to Hayhay911

From the file names it looks like windows is confused about the file type because of the periods in the file names.

If in photoshop you go to File>Open As>PSD, do the files open in photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:19 PM   in reply to Hayhay911

I guess you were able to open them in photoshop with open as.

In the future you should probably try to avoid using periods in the image file names other than for the file type extension.

You could use - or_ in place of the periods as in VotePedia Invoice 1_5_13  or VotePedia Invoice 1-5-13

Also, as Noel suggested, going into Control Panel>Appearace and Personalization>Folder Options>View

and unchecking Hide extensions for known file types will help as well.

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 1:02 AM   in reply to R_Kelly

i think some issues over there with file extension. try to fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 1:51 AM   in reply to Hayhay911

Hello everyone...

I found a method to fix this problem.

Right click on your file then go to properties and over there you can find a box which shows the file name.

There just ad the extention ".psd"

and click on apply and open your file. It worked for me

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to Nisheeth Madhusoodanan

this worked, Nisheeth!! Thanks so much!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points