Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What is DVD Ready "VOB" Format mpeg2 vs Other? mpeg2

Feb 12, 2013 1:49 PM

I have Premiere Elements 9 and am working with Sony Handycam files which GSpot identifies as DVD Ready "VOB" Format and I have looked high and low for what that means. I also have some progressive scan mpeg's which i may be using later.

I am sure you guys have been around this long enough that it's common knowledge for you, but what makes one type of mpeg2 more dvd ready than another and which ones need to be converted first before bringing into a project? I know the program will convert some to avi

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 6:34 PM   in reply to head spin

VOBs are a form of MPEG2. They have certain parameters that make them DVD ready, however --  720x480 resolution, 29.97i frame rate, etc.

You can change a VOBs suffix to .mpg and it will still be the same file. An mpeg. The .vob suffix just identifies as a DVD file.

You're not really clear what you're trying to do with this fil. But, if you're planning to use DVD files or even standard definition MPEGs, make sure your project is properly set up for them or you're not going to get good results.

Likewise, if your "progressive scan MPEGs" are not 720x480 resolution, you may want to proceed cautiously. Prior to version 11, the program did not handle a mix of formats or resolutions well.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to head spin

As I said, it's basically its resolution, frame rate and bit rate.

There may be something else. The Wikipedia article does a great job going into more detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOB

The main point is that all VOBs are MPEG2s -- but not all MPEG2s are VOBs.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 8:22 PM   in reply to head spin

Besides the acutal MPEG-2 DVD, inside the VOB container, and the Wiki article, this article goes into some detail on VOB's, and what can be inside them: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2298534#2298534

Besides the MPEG-2 format, there are other DVD considerations, such as the Bit-Rate. Also, the Audio can be PCM/WAV, or DD AC3 - it just depends.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 4:41 PM   in reply to head spin

You can import them as they are, however you need to choose the widescreen preset from the Hard Disk folder and not the DV folder,

as you footage is upper fields first (TFF).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points