Skip navigation
98taxi
Currently Being Moderated

Problem getting media from Sony DCRTRV19 mini dv camcorder

Feb 12, 2013 4:10 PM

I am in the process of transferring all of my mini dv footage to my computer and am encountering an issue.  I can open premiere elements 11, open video editer and start new project.  I can click on add media but when I select mini DV the program freezes with the progress indicator spinning.  I was able to transfer 20 tapes before this issue began.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program without any change.

I tried windows movie maker and it works fine which leads me to believe that it is something with Adobe.  I have read about issues regarding IEEE1394 drivers that are preloaded onto windows 7 64 bit which is what I am using.  I wasn't going to put too much effort into identifying the cause of this because I will probably not use this connection method in the future.  I plan to upgrade to a HDV camera and will use memory cards to transfer.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might cause this issue.  The program works fine as long as I am not using the Mini dv connection.  I can import the video captured from moviemaker edit it and save to my nas without any issues.  If the process never worked with this camera then I could blame it on incompatability but that's not the case.

I have a basic Asus geforce GT430 video card which I noticed is not listed on Adobes compatability list could this be an issue?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Computer consists of

Intel i5 2500K 3.3Ghz quad core 6MB

16Gb of DDR3-1333 Ram

Asus GeForce GT430 1GB Video card

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 4:52 PM   in reply to 98taxi

Set the firewire driver to Legacy, see if that will let you capture with E11.

HDV camera's dont do memory cards, they work with mini dv tape.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:28 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann is right. The HDV format is also tape based and you'll still need to connect via FireWire.

Here's how to set your system to use the legacy driver.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/869277?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 5:02 AM   in reply to 98taxi

Well, you can take our advice or not, I guess.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 5:43 AM   in reply to 98taxi

No. There is no reason this should not work if you're connected by FireWire and you've got your camcorder set to VTR. The beauty of miniDV and a FireWire connection is that the driver is universal. All miniDV and Digital8 camcorders use it exactly the same way.

I'm going to assume you really are connected by IEEE1394 and not a USB connection.

Occasionally there are issues with other software interferring. Nero, for instance, has been known to monopolize control of disc burner drives and, once in a while, Firewire connections. But that's pretty rare. And MovieMaker never conflicts with other programs.

Meantime, try this: Download this free program and see if you can capture with it.

http://windv.mourek.cz/

At the very least, that will tell us that your Firewire connection is working. And, worst case, you can use it to capture your video (Many people prefer it, in fact) and it will save your video as DV-AVIs that are perfectly compatible with Premiere Elements.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points