Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS2 for Win 7 won't recognize file type

Feb 12, 2013 5:03 PM

Tags: #windows #7 #wont_open #file_type #photoshop_cs@

I scanned some images using Phtoshop CS2 and saved them in Photoshope as jpgs. But apparently photoshop interpretted the end of the file name that I typed as a file extension - so a file that was called Portrait-06.22.1999 - was saved as a "1999" file as opposed to a jpg file. I can view these images in Windows Photo Viewer or Windows Live Photo gallery but they won't open in Photoshop. How do I change the file type so photoshop will recognize them? I tried just to add a JPG extension to the name of the file but that did not work. Also those photos that had this problem but were listed under "open recent" - I was able to get back in and save again as jpg and now they are fine. What to do with the others? Is there a trick or something I need to download? Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to bkwater

Yes, anything after a period is considered an extension.  There are a number of characters that are reserved for the OS and a period is one of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to bkwater

Rename them to something like "Portrait-06-22-1999.jpg"

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 5:40 PM   in reply to bkwater

I'm using OS X, so I can't help, sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 5:46 PM   in reply to bkwater

You'll lose image information if you open a JPG in Photoshop then save to JPG. Each time a JPG is created, information is discarded to make the file compressed. You better check the quality of those which you've already done before possibly ruining all of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:13 PM   in reply to bkwater

If you can find no way of just changing the file names and extensions to make the files recognised as JPG by all programs then, yes, open and save in a lossless format such as TIFF or PSD or PNG. However, I think a Windows expert will come to your rescue if you hold on a little longer.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:44 PM   in reply to bkwater

Tested an image.  Here are the results.

If you have bat.test and save it saves as bat.test.  In bridge their is no thumbnail as it is not recognized.  You can rename as bat.jpg and it then works.  Just right click and select rename.

If you have bat.test.jpg you can rename and just eliminate .test

Yes, you loose a little bit each time you save a jpg, but if you have it above 9? it is very minute.  You would probalby have to save it dozens of times to see the difference on the screen.  Depends on original pixel size and what you are going to do with it as to whether you will see any difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 7:00 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I also tested an image, using Windows Explorer, same result. Fake extention, PS won't open -- change back to .jpg, PS does open. I do not believe this degrades a .jpg in any way. Windows Explorer puts up a warning message when renaming to a new extension, even when renaming to a true extension such as .jpg,  as does Bridge. Ignore this and proceed with the renaming. No need to ever open or save as in PS.

My question for someone from Adobe is: if you "save" a .jpg, but don't "save as" it, does PSCS6 compress it? Just curious about this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points