Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere CS6 Unknown Error in Rendering & Export

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

this is an ongoing problem that persisted on any version of Adobe Premiere Pro I worked with, including CS5,5.5 and the latest 6.

I am stuck with a feature film on a CS6 Timeline, getting an Unkown Error during rendering and Media Encoder exports

I get the same error if I attampt to create a new trimmed project with Project Manager.

I am aware that this is one of the most common problems in this forum, and before opening a discussion I tried everithing I could:

- Replace the media at the point of the error/crash (even though the error seems to happen randomly in dirrerent portions of the timeline)

- Disable MPE

- Reset Secutity and permission on files

- change hard drive

- Create a new sequence

- Disable second monitor

I have to bring an export of my film and a new trimmed project by tomorrow to a color house and I am currently stuck.

I managed to render the entire timeline before exporting. Redering would stop randomly, generating the same "Unkown Error in Copiling Movie".

Although I rendered the entire timeline by creating different IN-OUT with the work area selection.

After a long and tetious rendering process I managed to have the entire timeline "green" and ready to go.

I figured that this way the exporting process would have been successful. Unfortunatelly not.

I switched to Premiere Pro for its ability to edit R3D media, but what's the point if we cannot export the project? And neither trimm it to a file that I can give to a colorist?

Here some details of my workstation and source media:

- MacPro 12cores 64Gb ram

- Internal 6Tb raid for source media

- 4Tb Dulce Scratch drive

- Editing 4K and 5K R3D Media natively

If anyone found a solution to this problem, please help.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• If you are going to color correction, why do you need an output? Aren't they color correcting the native files?
  • If you need an output for some reason, why are you rendering at all?
  • Can you try an export without rendering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Kevin,

your questions leave me quite surprised. It looks like Adobe doesn't like exporting and rendering.

If you are going to color correction, why do you need an output? Aren't they color correcting the native files?

I need an output as reference for the VFX department, I need an output for the sound designer, I need an output for the producer, I need an output for myself and to send to my girlfriend. The question I should ask you is, why shouldn't I need an output?

What's wrong by exporting my timeline in a format that is not r3d files for reference and production management?

If you need an output for some reason, why are you rendering at all?

As I explained I simply rendered because the software was having several random "Unknown" problems in exporting. I though rendering and exporting a file matching the timeline settings would have solved those annoying Unnkown Errors, giving me at list an export based on the render settings.

Problem is that PPro CS6 fails also to render the timeline, and I needed to break the process in 30-40 segments in order to achieve a complete rendering.

Can you try an export without rendering?

I wish PPro CS6 was reliable enough to allow me to simply export.

I still did not solve the problem. Several people from the redusers forum are trying to help me as and they all ran into the same issue.

Currently this are the issues:

- PPro does not render the entire timeline

- does not output the entire timeline (if not chopping it in 12-15 parts)

- Project Manager does not trim the project to pass it to over post prod facilities

Beside questioning me with why I want to render or export my project, as Adobe customer I expect from your company to aknwoledge that PPro has several problems in outputting, trimming and rendering projects.

Many users in this forum (as well as on the entire internet) experienced th same Unknown Problem:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4661398

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/955172

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3903293

You can find hundreds of post about this issue, but Adobe never posted a solution, or an opinion.

This is all I could find, and it does not address the "Unknown Error" that so many users constantly experience.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/error-compiling-movie-rendering-or.html

All I can tell you is:

sometimes an mp3 can cause the issue, or a small gap in the editing, or a still picture above 2000 pixels, or an audio transition, an audio effect, an error related to a possible wrong versions of the Red import server... some people creates a new project and import the old sequence into the new project.

I understand that, being an "Unknown Error" Adobe does not have a universal fix, but please don't ask me why I want to output my timeline.

Here is a temporary fix for who runs into this problem:

Yesterday, after trying everything I could think of I simply exported an XML, opened it in Final Cut Pro and exported all the files and formats that I needed. No Unknown Errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neonhigh,

If you are going to color correction, why do you need an output? Aren't they color correcting the native files?

I need an output as reference for the VFX department, I need an output for the sound designer, I need an output for the producer, I need an output for myself and to send to my girlfriend. The question I should ask you is, why shouldn't I need an output?

What's wrong by exporting my timeline in a format that is not r3d files for reference and production management?

I was talking about color correction only, as they usually only need the native files. Of course, an output would be necessary for all the other things you mentioned. Nothing wrong with that.

Neonhigh wrote:

If you need an output for some reason, why are you rendering at all?

As I explained I simply rendered because the software was having several random "Unkown" problems in exporting. I though rendering and exporting a file matching the timeline settings would have solved those annoying Unkown Errors, giving me at list an export based on the render sttings.

Problem is that PPro CS6 fails also to render the timeline, and I needed to break the process in 30-40 segments in order to achieve a complete rendering.

Rendering in Premiere Pro is primarily for playback, and not necessary for output. In fact, it's a waste of time in most cases. Render files are typically not used for an output unless you explicitly want to do so. Typically they are lower resolution "preview" files that you don't want to use.

Regardless, you should have no trouble rendering sections of your Timeline. Are you updated to Premiere Pro CS6 (6.0.2)?

Can you try an export without rendering?

I wish PPro CS6 was reliable enough to allow me to simply export.

I still did not solve the problem. Several people from the redusers forum are trying to help me as and they all ran into the same issue.

Currently this are the issues:

- PPro does not render the entire timeline

I'm trying a test project right now and so far it is rendering OK. Can you point me to the reduser forum post where people were giving you assistance?

- does not output the entire timeline (if not chopping it in 12-15 parts)

I'll test that, as well. You should not have to segment the sequence in order to get an export.

- Project Manager does not trim the project to pass it to over post prod facilities.

Sorry, the Project Manager will not consolidate every media type. It will copy, however. This would be a feature request or bug report: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Beside questioning me with why I want to render or export my project,

Not questioning your capabilities or talents, I just wanted to know what you wanted to do, and why. Typically, most people don't render as much in Premiere Pro as they do in other NLEs and I was wondering why you needed an export to go to color correction. That's all.

Many users in this forum (as well as on the entire internet) experienced th same Unkown Problem:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4661398

There could be many different variables which can cause that error. The troubleshooting doc you found addresses many of those. I will add the "Unknown Error" warning to the document.

There is no "single fix" for this problem, I'm afraid, and these are our opinions and solutions on the matter.

A legitimate gripe would be that the error is too generic, and I would agree with you there. The error should contain more details about how to remedy your issue. Please make a feature request for more descriptive error dialog boxes: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

I will also mention it to the product team.

I understand that, being an "Unkown Errror" Adobe does not have a iniversal fix, but please don't ask me why I want to output my timeline.

Again, I was only asking in the context of color correction. Of course, you want an output for various reasons.

I've written up your bad experience in my case notes and I'll do my best to get you some better answers to your questions. You definitely should not have to jump through hoops to render or export a .R3D sequence.

Neonhigh wrote:

Here is a temporary fix for who runs into this problem:

Yesterday, after trying everything I could think of I simply exported an XML, opened it in Final Cut Pro and exported all the files and formats that I needed. No Unknown Errors.

Thanks for the workaround. I'll add it to my notes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

here some links of people having the same exact problem in other forums, including my reduser discussion where you can find some useful tips related to the subject:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/925815

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/926202

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/920531

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?88955-Adobe-CS6-weird-R3D-problems&highlight=Unkown+Erro...

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?94776-Premiere-CS6-Unknown-Error-Compiling-in-Export-Ren...

Thanks for getting back to me.

It was getting quite frustrating to not find any information on this matter.

I noticed that a new article in now available on Adobe's website.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/error-error-compiling-movie-render.html

I'll take a look at it as well

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solutions here? I'm having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, few solutions.

It would be best if you could specify what type of media you are using, and what platform (OS, RAM, GHz..)

some of the issues are actualy related to a bad hardware combination that affects PC users.

If you have a MAC like me, the problem is probably related to a series of bugs in Premiere.

Premiere is a very helpful software when it comes to edit new type of media, but complitely unreliable in exporting, rendering and managing projects between one or more workstations.

My suggestions are:

1- Try to first to close your project. Open a new one and import the sequence from the old project that you need to export. Premiere will reorganize all the media into a new folder in the media directory. Once everything is ready on the new timeline (wait for pending media to be ready for preview) just try to export.

2- Exporting directly within Premiere (without selecting "queue") usually generates less errors.

3- If 1 and 2 did not work, send all the ambaradan to AE. Sending the entire sequence to AE and export from there was the initial workflow to export 4K Red media, and it is still the most solid export option.

You might want to mix this solutions too! If things still give you troubles, try to (1)Import the sequence onto a new project AND (3) Send everything to AE.

OR

(1) Import the sequence onto a new project AND AND (2) Export directly withing Premiere

If you do not have After Effects, just download a fully functional trial and use it with this project.

Adobe has to fix this problem or we all better move to a different editing platform.

Plenty to choose from today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neonhigh wrote:

Hi Kevin,

here some links of people having the same exact problem in other forums, including my reduser discussion where you can find some useful tips related to the subject:

Hi Neonhigh,

I've noted your case and will make sure the product team is aware of this as a top issue.

Neonhigh wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me.

It was getting quite frustrating to not find any information on this matter.

Yes, the problem is that there are multiple causes for this problem. For that reason, it's tough to pin down.

Neonhigh wrote:

I noticed that a new article in now available on Adobe's website.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/error-error-compiling-movi e-render.html

I'll take a look at it as well

thanks

That's for Premiere Elements, unfortuantely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2014 Aug 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this problem. The error was caused by Cross Dissolve on the Adjustment Layer.

Win 7 x64 CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I am not a professional video or filmmaker but use Premiere CS6 as a tool in making visual art that is video-based and definitely do not have the depth of experience or knowledge that you do so I apologize in advance for the lack of detail below.

However, I noticed something about this rendering and export issue that I hope may be relevant. I had bought a new Mac Pro desktop and new copy of CS6 a few months ago as it is the same app that I'm using on my Mac Pro laptop and on my iMac at home. I have run into the "unknown error" message a few times myself when attempting to render and/or export to an@ MP4 file but not with every project. Sometimes I would just close the application and restart the computer and it would work. But, there have been a few instances where that didn't solve the problem. I took my hard drive home from the studio and tried rendering/exporting it on my two year old iMac and, lo and behold, there were no problems. I really am not sure why it is working on that computer but not the new Mac Pro. The Premiere CS6 installed on the iMac was not from the same set of disks as that on my new desktop (I had to purchase a new set of CS6 suite disks through my university).

I hope this may offer a lead on this incredibly aggravating problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my first real projects using premiere pro and I ran into this.

Imagine working for a week editing like mad and getting everything perfect and then go to render and seeing this error.

heartbreaking.

In my case I had a audio/video synced sequence (from pluralyeyes) with an adjustment layer (color correction, etc), on top.

To work around it I double clicked on the synced sequence and it shows me the detailed clips in another composition/sequence.

I then re added the adjustment layer on that composition/sequence and it thank god rendered it successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced this problem myself, working on a PC with Windows 7. Took the files home where I'm running Windows 10 Insider preview. Same problem.

I watched the export render timeline percentage until I got the error message (which in my case was 24%). I then calculated how far along the timeline 24% would get me and it occurred right where I had a nested sequence which consisted of an PSD file with a transparent background on top of a color matte layer.

I took the PSD file back into Photoshop and placed the color matte layer in the PSD file, flattened the file and replaced the nested sequence with the new file instead of the two layers. It fixed my problem.

I'm sure everyone else's circumstances are different, but the point of my post is to use the export render percentage as a means to roughly determine whereabouts on your timeline the problem may be occurring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I run into the same problem: premiere crashes usually as soon as I start rendering, and sometimes when it's halfway done. At least it never finishes the rendering.

The source of all the clips are the same, and I have used the exact same type of videos before when editing and at the time it was no problem.

I have tried exporting through Media Encoder and directly through Premiere, and both ways it suddenly stops working. Sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes halfway, sometimes when it's nearly done. I have tried different output locations, changing the file names, set various output settings (avi, H.264, etc, different frame rates). None of it works and there is no error message anywhere stating what is wrong.

I have windows 7 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines