Skip navigation
Noel Carboni 23,526 posts
Dec 23, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Looking to Really Kick Up Photoshop Performance?  SSD

Feb 13, 2013 6:24 AM

You've saved up a bit of cash since the holidays, right?

Good sale seen today:  OCZ Vector (their latest model, and one of the fastest on the planet) 256GB for well under $1 a gigabyte:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-227-916

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-2-5-Inch-Warranty--VTR1-25SAT3-25 6G/dp/B00A9YQPCY

$229.99 and free shipping.

Limit 5. 

Most modern motherboards can easily support a RAID array using the onboard Intel ICH chipset, and the latest even sport SATA III. 

For $460, two of these drives on SATA III would make a 512GB RAID 0 array that easily breaks the 1 gigabyte/second mark and could hold your OS, applications, scratch, and some data.  You could make whatever spinning HDDs you currently have secondary storage, where you keep data you're not actively working on.

From personal experience I can say this: 

Running a system from a RAID array of SSDs as compared to an HDD is like moving ahead 5 to 10 years in one step

Warning:  Use a system so-equipped and you'll never be able to stand using a system running from spinning HDDs again.

-Noel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

"For $460, two of these drives on SATA III would make a 512GB RAID 0 array that easily breaks the 1 gigabyte/second mark and could hold your OS, applications, scratch, and some data." So, as configured, you don't use separate drives/arrays/whatever for scratch or data anymore? Hmmmm Even massive Bridge/CR caches (tons of read/writes per session)? No problems with that on SSDs anymore?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 5:27 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

This is some very interesting information to carry forward when proposing a new workstation @work. What holds me back on dumping 10k rpm HDs entirely is the massive blocks of imagery I typically pump through my system. Staging all activity except local storage to a 2 disk SSD raid may be an interesting next step. I see the Passmark Advanced Disk app. goes for around 30bux. Is the license tied to a single cpu, or can it be moved around?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,011 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2013 8:38 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Slow users like me need some think time. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to JJMack

I'm thinking, and wishing ...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)