Skip navigation
sunny6295
Currently Being Moderated

Problem installing Photoshop 7 on new computer w/windows 8

Feb 13, 2013 8:14 AM

Tags: #photoshop #help #error

I have photoshop 7 which I have used for years. My computer died (windows XP) and I had to buy a new one with windows 8 . I have re installed Photoshop 7 and now when I click on the Photoshop icon it begins to load then halfway through I get a message that says "You currently have Adobe Photoshop's primary scratch and windows primary paging file on the same volume which can result in reduced performance. It is recomended that you set Adobe Photoshop's primary scratch volume to be on a different volume, preferably on a different  physical drive" The only option here is to press "OK" then it automaticly closes. Can anyone tell me what I can do to fix this or a workaround?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to sunny6295

You need to set up a different partition on your HD and set this as the partition to use as the scratch disk

All the tools are in Windows 8 - start by typing 'disk' (minus the apostrophes) in the search box and select the disk management tool.

Roger

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to sunny6295

That is not an error, just information:  telling you that your current configuration (using just one drive) might reduce performance.

But partioning the drive would make performance MUCH worse - because now a single disk head will be moving much farther to access data from both volumes.

If you want better performance, get a second drive or tell Photoshop to use another drive for scratch.  Do not partition for scratch.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to sunny6295

The warning message doesn't prevent you from loading Photoshop.

Yes, you can specify the external drive for scratch, once you get Photoshop working.

Originally I thought you just meant that the warning dialog closed, not the whole application.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to sunny6295

So you have something else going wrong, unrelated to that warning message.

Photoshop shouldn't be exiting without an error message, and the scratch disk warning should only be shown the first time you launch on a new install (the fact that it was shown is remembered in Photoshop's preferences).

Are you not getting any other errors or information before the application closes?

And please turn off your email signature, unless you really like having your personal info used by spammers.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to sunny6295

OK, that's the important error -- your boot disk is too full, and that's bad for Photoshop and your OS.

Photoshop needs a minimum of about 100 Meg free on your default scratch disk, just to launch (loading brushes, patterns, styles, and space it needs for compositing images).

You really need to clear some space on your boot disk.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to sunny6295

Yes, but you didn't tell us about the "scratch disk full" error until just now.

Again, this has nothing to do with a single drive - this has to do with the disk being full (no space left).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 2:42 PM   in reply to sunny6295

Hello.  My 1st post.  Glad to hear I'm not the only one. 

I'm also getting this same error on 3 different brand new pc's running Windows 8.  Two hp's and 1 Dell.  Have plenty of space and getting the same error.  Each pc has over a TB of available hard-drive space.  After being notified of the error, Photoshop 7 completely closes upon clicking "ok".

Would love to know if there is a solution. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 21, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Photoshop 7 has a known inability to see terabyte sized free space, claiming instead that it's "full".

It was designed in a time when a thousand gigabytes of free disk space was simply unheard of.

You'll need to create a partition or use a drive with less than a terabyte of space available.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 9:09 AM   in reply to sunny6295

Hello.

Actually, Lisa & Noel.  You both ended helping me out.  I created another partion using some of my C: drive (10gb to be exact, less than 1TB), formatted it and called it Drive P:PhotoShop.  I uninstalled the previous installation of 7.0 and reinstalled it under P: instead of C:.  Then I used Lisa's advice on how to change the scratch on PhotoShop 7.0 start up.  Changed scratch to "P:" and this worked!

Now my PhotoShop 7.0 works.   

Well sort of....  Now I'm getting a different error:  X "Program was unable to load the necessary components and it's going to terminate.  Please re-install your software."  and an “OK” button.   Upon clicking "OK" or the x-out button, it closes and PhotoShop opens fine.   I've installed several times with no error changes, still comes up.    As least it works and seems fine for now.   Go figure. 

Thank you both!

Danny

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to dperez1970

I feel a little hurt that my first answer was so quickly dismissed - that's life I suppose!

But now I would suggest that it would be better to install PS7 in the 'C' partition, because that is where PS7 expects to be installed,

and make 'P' the scratch disk

Roger

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 12:04 PM   in reply to rogleale

You're right.  Tried to but it for some reason was still getting the same scratch error.  It went away once I installed in P:  Going to try that again soon.    This is probably why PhotoShop will only allow me to save within the same partition it's installed in.  Example, I can't save to anywhere within C:.    So, yes.... will try to make C: under a TB.  Hopefully that will work.

Thx..

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 5:24 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Hi -- I have the same issue that sunny6295 had, but the solutions offered here are not working.  When I try opening Photoshop 7 on Windows 7, a window pops out that says that suggests me to set my primary scatch volume to be on a different volume.  This just started happening all of a sudden; it did not happen when I first installed PS7 on this computer.  The weird thing is that it is also happening on my other computer which is running Windows XP.  Is there a real solution to this?  I can't get to the prefs to change the scratch drive because the application keeps automatically closing as soon as the message box is either manually closed or left alone for several seconds.  Thanks for your help.

Brandon

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 24, 2014 7:40 PM   in reply to contretemps

contretemps wrote:

a window pops out that says that suggests me to set my primary scatch volume to be on a different volume.

Have you considered just ignoring that pop-up message?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2014 8:35 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Re-read the last two sentences of my post.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 26, 2014 7:32 PM   in reply to contretemps

Your sentences don't imply whether the dialog closes or all of Photoshop.  Given your response, I'm assuming the latter. 

While it's certainly possible the problem of Photoshop not starting and the dialog shown are two different things, it's a known fact that Photoshop 7.0 did not take kindly to huge (terabyte-sized) disk drives.  Such things didn't exist when it was designed.

Do you know what Microsoft UAC is/does?  That didn't exist when Photoshop 7 came out either.  It expected it would have enough privileges to write into any number of places not considered legitimate for that activity now.  UAC can be disabled in Win 8 (through a registry tweak), but there are things you really need to understand and additional responsibilities you need to take on if you do so.

You might just have to face the possibility that you'll need to get a more modern version of Photoshop for your new system.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points