Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

exporting 1:1 drawing at 1:100

Feb 13, 2013 11:49 AM

hi all,

new poster here.

can anyone supply me with a little terminology for the help menu and or url's so i can read up on /exporting/ from AI?

i have someone doing a drawing and i am asking them to draw it at 1:1 instead of 1:100 even though the final result is going to need to be a 1:100 drawing in eps or pdf.

is it extremely simple to get a eps or pdf at 1:100 even if the drawing is at 1:1 - while retaining clarity and/or detail etc?

my understanding is that they want this scale for publication but my thinking is that drawing at 1:1 is a much better idea in case i need to use this later. also, any tips on anything that i should understand with respect to this would be really welcome.

THANKS

Jon

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to hotwheels222

First off, you are aware that Illustrator's art board has an absolute maximum sixe of 227.54" in either direction, I hope. In other words, no object or group of pbjects can be larger than that. If you are importing something too big, it will either error out, or you will get garbage (random lines, etc.).

Second, as long as everything in the drawing is a vector object, as opposed to raster (bitmap), scaling will be no problem. Just make sure your line weights are printable at 1:100; not so big they blob out, not so small as to not print.

As to exporting from AI, the manual is a good place to start.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 11:21 PM   in reply to hotwheels222

my thinking is that drawing at 1:1 is a much better idea in case i need to use this later

The whole point of using a vector drawing program is to be able to scale small things up without loss of "sharpness". Following your logic, engineers would draw their machinery on housewalls, but they all happily work to scale in their CAD program. Sorry, makes zero sense and you have things backwards. Just follow the advise OldBob already gave and see to it that everyting looks usable at the scale you're actually going to print it.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to hotwheels222

For A and B; As long as everything is vector (and is small enough to import when you bring it into Illustrator), scale does not matter. Work at whatever scale makes sense for the project at hand. That will usually depend on how it is being used, and by whom, and what they mignt need.

As for scaling line weights and effects; in Preferences, make sure the box shown below is checked. Then line weights, etc. will scale with your drawing, up or down, again, does not matter.

Prefs.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 12:04 PM   in reply to hotwheels222

is it possible to SCALE a drawing if the scale strokes and effects is checked and not have any problems?

Yes. That is what scale strokes and effects is for.

is it possible to EXPORT or SAVE a drawing at any scale if this option is checked?

You scale the drawing to whatever your customer needs, then export it. Yes.

what would be a good reason to draw in AI at 1:200 if the request was specifically for 1:100? i mean, this is in fact a smaller drawing. are there benefits to drawing at 1:200 as opposed to 1:100? or vice versa?

The same reason you choose a particular beer, pizza, or TV show; it's what you are comfortable with and used to. Other than that, there is no inherent benefit of working at any particular scale with vector artwork (keeping in mind the absolute maximum artboard limit in Illustrator).

Headed home for the weekend now. Good luck.

--OB

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points