Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

problems with spots colors and printing

Feb 13, 2013 1:37 PM

Tags: #transparency #indesign #acrobat_x #spot_colors #prepress

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a business card for a client.  The design calls for white text with an inner shadow to sit above a bar with a gradient. One of the colors in the gradient is reflex blue. When I export the file to a pdf and try to print it the text box fills with white and the graident bar changes colors and a portion of it becomes solid. I can fix the problem by printing the pdf as an image or removing the reflex blue and substituing it for another dark blue.  However there really isn't a close match in cymk to Reflex Blue C. Is there a way I could continue using reflex blue ( incidentally that is one of the company colors) without these short of issues? If it helps I am using Indesign cs5,  Acrobat X, Mac OS 10.6.8, using Creo Rip Software and Printing on a Xerox 700 digital press. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to CoGordo4

yep, spot colors and transparency need caution.

If possible, place the live type on a higher layer than the gradient.

What are the export settings? (Not x1a)

Keep the transparency live, unflattened. (?) The Creo should manage.

I tried to replicate the issue but there are vaiables; RIP's and Flattening.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 3:21 PM   in reply to CoGordo4

"One of the colors in the gradient is reflex blue." And the other color(s)?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to CoGordo4

I'm not a fan of mixing spot and process in a gradient, but I suppose it should work.

As Daniel said, expor to Acrobat 5 or higher compatibility to keep the transparency live, and see InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Eliminating the White Box Effect

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 5:03 PM   in reply to CoGordo4

I don't think so. Is overprint preview on in Acrobat?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 7:30 PM   in reply to CoGordo4

In Acrobat X, open the Print Production panel under Tools. It's not one of the default panels so choose Print Production from the Options menu (tiny menu upper right). Then select Output Preview. When the Output Preview panel is open, Overprint Preview is turned on. (It's also turned in all cases for PDF/X files.)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 5:15 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

You can also turn it on in the Acrobat Prefs.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,123 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Feb 14, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to CoGordo4

However there really isn't a close match in cymk to Reflex Blue C...and Printing on a Xerox 700 digital press.

The spot has to get converted to CMYK somewhere—the Xerox press isn't printing a solid spot color so there's no reason to spec the color as spot. Try setting the color to the Process Lab version of Reflex Blue, export as PDF/X-4 and let your RIP make the conversion from Lab to the press profile:

Screen shot 2013-02-14 at 8.38.54 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,123 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Feb 14, 2013 1:53 PM   in reply to CoGordo4

Double-click your Reflex Blue swatch in the Swatches panel. Change the Color Mode to Lab (it's at the top of the popup list), then change the Color Type to Process.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,123 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Feb 14, 2013 2:08 PM   in reply to CoGordo4

Also, looking at your screen capture, there's no reason to use transparency, but if you are set the Transparency Blend Space under Edit to RGB

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points