Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Using mixed resolutions in a 3D DVD

Feb 13, 2013 1:54 PM

Tags: #3d #dvd_build

Hi,

I'm putting together a 3D DVD using Encore. The video files were provided to me as "side by side" format .avi files. Some are 2560x720 and some are 2560x1024 and some 2560x972, for example. Does that matter? Do I just import them, as is, into Encore and just link the menu items to the individual video files?

Upoon export from Encore, do I need to do anything special to ensure the TV set recognizes this as 3D and combines the "side by side" images?

I'm also doing an anaglyph version (red/blue) Same questions as above. Do I need to know anything special about creating these two 2D discs? All video files were provided to me as .avi files.

Thanks in advance. This is my first attempt with 3D and Encore (and only my 2nd Encore project!)

-Karen

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to kar13

Encore does not do 3D.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 8:14 PM   in reply to kar13

My revised comment is that Encore will not author menus in 3D. It will apparently pass through (I am assuming pass through is the concept) side by side 3D.

This thread was the most in depth I found. As to whether it is accurate or works I do not know.

http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2326

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to kar13

Well, I seem to have deleted my partial response...

Anyone out there actually doing this? And if so, what are the specifics of the file imported to Encore?

My impression of side by side is that the file is a regular 1920x1080 file, with a 48 fps rate, with the left and right eyes sharing that frame. The 3DTV splits the frame into left and right, upscales (thus the loss of horizontal compared to the full resolution for left and right eye in Bluray 3D), and displays left and right eyes 24fps each. This makes no sense to me since 48fps is not bluray compatible. Perhaps it is 24fps all the way, and the TV handles that also.

While different resolutions can be on a bluray, I don't t hink any of them can be out of bluray spec: max 1920x1080.

Since I don't know what I am talking about, I could certainly be wrong.

There are quite a few people talking about this, but I didn't find the specifics of the final file that will be imported to Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to kar13

Totally missed that. That is going to be limiting. I see very little discussion of that.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to kar13

I think the largest issue you'll face is that Encore will need to transcode the media into DVD compliant files.  I think there you will lose your 3D.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to kar13

I assume that Encore is going to transcode your movies into 720x480 widescreen.

Yes, menu 720x480.

Let us know.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 1:25 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim, I really don't know. But what I read suggests the nature of the side by side option makes it possible for any video to be 3D. Some of the methods being described use motion settings (think PIP) to put the left and right streams into a side by side format.

I do not know how the 3D TVs detect the options, but in this case, it is apparently possible to manually set side by side 3D.

But I have to think that DVD based 3D from a side by side option will be nasty quality.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points