Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating a 3D sphere in AI

Feb 13, 2013 1:54 PM

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to Illustrator, and I'm having a challeng with creating the look I want using 3D Revolve. The sphere is part of a logo, and needs to essentially match the color of part of the logo, but I also want it to have a smooth 3D quality. Hard to explain in writing.

To start, here's the color I want to be predominant in the sphere:

color.png

Here's what I've come up with thus far:

sphere_1.png

This is as close as I've been able to get to the original color, but there's no gradation between the shades. Here are the 3D Revolve settings:

Surface: Plastic Shading

Light Intensity: 50%

Ambient Light: 70%

Highlight Intensity: 95%

Highlight Size: 95%

Blend Steps: 256

Shading Color: Black

And here's another experiment:

sphere_2.png

This has the blend from dark to light I'm looking for, but the base color has become much more purple, and doesn't really match the original. Here are the settings for this version:

Surface: Plastic Shading

Light Intensity: 40%

Ambient Light: 0%

Highlight Intensity: 100%

Highlight Size: 100%

Blend Steps: 50

Shading Color: None

I've played around with diffuse shading, but haven't even come as close as these two samples. So basically, what I'm looking for is the base color of the first sample (maybe a little lighter), with the blend from dark to light of the second.

Thanks for any input or suggestions, and I'll be happy to provide more info if needed.

Sam

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to Interstellar Icon

You could easily achieve the same look with a radial gradient. And it might be easier to control as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 2:44 PM   in reply to Interstellar Icon

Icon,

To achieve a look like the one in the second image with the right colour (transition), you may:

1) Create the circle with fill/nostroke,

2) Create a horizontal line from the centre to the right edge, and a vertical line one half of the way (or where it fits your final look, maybe one third of the way) on top of the circle,

3) Select the circle and drag horizontally with the Gradient Tool from the crossing to the edge and switch to a Radial Gradient,

4) Apply white to the centre and #0000CC to the edge (left and right) and keep the Slider over the gradient at 50%,

5) Hide the lines and rotate the circle by 45 dregrees (or whichever rotation suits the purpose).

You may Undo and adjust 2), 3), and 5), until you are satisfied, and maybe delete the lines when done.

For quicker trying with less control, you may skip 2) and 5) and just drag from somewhere to the edge (or to somewhere else) in 3).

You can also define the colour as RGB 0/0/204.

Edit: Hi Monika.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 2:54 PM   in reply to Interstellar Icon

For my part you are welcome, Sam.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to Interstellar Icon

If you want to make it even more 3-D, add a lighter tone along the right edge to suggest reflected light like this

Screen shot 2013-02-15 at 9.58.59 AM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points