Skip navigation
BrushCarver
Currently Being Moderated

What is the best way to sharpen using both Lightroom_4 and Photoshop CS6?

Feb 13, 2013 5:49 PM

Tags: #cs6 #lightroom_4 #sharpening

I want to learn the best way to sharpen various subjects.  I have Martin Evening's latest Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6 books, but no mention of which methods are better,  or better for which subjects/conditions.  It seems that Camera Raw and Lightroom are the same, so I'm tempted to just do it all in Lightroom with the Develop module Detail panel, and the adjustment brush for local sharpening. But can I be doing more with Photoshop CS6, or Lightroom and Photoshop together?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 14, 2013 12:50 AM   in reply to BrushCarver

In Photoshop/Bridge you can apply corrections to selected areas. That is an advantage.

But for very special sharpening tasks it might help to open the file in Photoshop and apply different sharpening to different parts of an image.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 14, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to BrushCarver

Lightroom and Photoshop have different capabilities.  Photoshop power lies in layers so sharpening in Photoshop is best done using a sharpening layer which can be blended and masked into layers below.  Lightroom is more a image developer then and editor and does not have layer support.  Both Lightroom and Photoshop use Adobe RAW conversion engine to develop images.  Adobe RAW Conversion Engine has very good sharpening and noise reduction capabilities. Sharpening and Noise reduction is more or less a balancing act to much sharpening enhances noise to much noise reducing loose details and add softness.  Though both Photoshop and Lightroom use the same Adobe RAW conversion engine they use different user interfaces when they use Adobe RAW conversion engine.  Lightroom also lacks Layer support.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to BrushCarver

In Lightroom, you may not even need the adjustment brush for sharpening once you try holding down the ALT key, and move the masking slider in the sharpening section. It allows you to adjust how much of an edge is being sharpened. That is really nice.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points