Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating Style Sheets for Existing Text

Feb 13, 2013 7:57 PM

Can I get some advice on what would be the easiest way to create and apply style sheets to a document that was layed out w/o any? My Art Director layed out a dozen pages of actual type w/o any style sheets. It's a pretty basic layout with Headers, Sub-heads and body copy. There are no "space afters" applied to any of the hard paragraph breaks after sub heads, and nothing has style sheets applied to it. All text has Basic Paragraph applied. I know how to create style sheets based on what he created, but then how would I apply to the rest of the pages w/o having to physically format it all? Thanks for any help with this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 14, 2013 12:21 AM   in reply to SIcsempertyrannis

We don't know you document. I don't know how you define "hard paragraph breaks"? If you mean it is "Sshift + Return" you have to get rid of it first.

Create Parragraph Styles for all forms of design.

Apply it.

Where is your problem? You know how to apply a pargraph style?

Send your Art Director to a basic computer training, then to another one for text processing and later, when he got used to use his keyboard properly send him to an InDesign training.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 8:49 AM   in reply to SIcsempertyrannis

SIcsempertyrannis schrieb:

If you dont know the difference between a hard return & a soft return perhaps it is you who should invest in a basic computer training course. And, in the future, if you do not have an answer to a question refrain from posting.

Not very polite. I know the difference.

If you are not able to describe your problem properly you should hire someone who can do it for you and you should not bash others who are trying to help you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to SIcsempertyrannis

One you have your paragraph style sheets set up, you can use Find/Change to apply them to your text. Just leave the find and changes fields blank, and search for the attributes that make a given style unique, and changes all instances of that formatting to your paragraph style that matches. This will leave the formatting alone, but will assign the style sheets. (You can, of course, incorporate the "space after" attribute into your styles). If your Art Director used double returns to create the space after parapgraphs, you can go back after applying your styles, and use the built-in GREP search to remove the extra returns.

Screen shot 2013-02-14 at 12.05.30 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to SIcsempertyrannis

SIcsempertyrannis schrieb:

Your flippant response to my question was to send my Art Director for basic computer training. How exactly is that polite or helpful? And if you know the difference between a hard and soft return then why did you ask if I meant shift+return when I clearly stated there were no space-afters applied to any hard paragraph breaks?

Your initial response was laden with typos and sarcasm, as is your second. If you dont want to be bashed then practice what you preach. Again, and for the last time, if you dont have an answer to a question you should refrain from posting.

No "space after" does not mean that it is shift-return! The space is depending on the settings of the Paragraph (Style) in Intends and Spacing. And sorry, a lot of people here mean with the same words different things.

And yes, send your Art Director to a training, because when smeone uses shift-return instead of properly paragraphs he has not enough knowledge to do word processing.

Thanks for the typos you have found. But you can keep them and all others you will find here. And no, I had no sarcasm.

I decide myself if I refrain from posting, it is not your job.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points