Skip navigation
ncjakobsen
Currently Being Moderated

How does Bridge store stacks information?

Feb 13, 2013 5:40 PM

Tags: #mac #metadata #stacks #management #bridge_cs6

I created a number of stacks, quit Bridge (CS6), opened it again and all the stacks were there. I used Bridge a little more and then it crashed. Upon reloading, some of my stacks were gone. Some were still there, some were missing images, some showed a stack and indicated only one image was in the stack.

Where is the information about stacks stored? Is this a safe way to permanently retain grouping of images within a single folder? Is there a better way? What the heck happened to my stacks?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to ncjakobsen

What OS are you using?  Will determine where stacks are.

Do you have Bridge on auto start?  Advanced Preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 6:38 PM   in reply to ncjakobsen

Not a Mac person but general data file should be in Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings

I think there are 2 root libraries and one is hidden. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 14, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to ncjakobsen

What version of Bridge?

CS 6 was the most stable when it came to holding stacks but before it could lose them out of the blue. Never did get to know why, usually when switching to fast between window or something other to fast. I came to live with it and when it happened I started at the bottom o f the screen working my way up to restack them because normal they where left in the same order as before but only ungrouped from stacks.

To my knowledge there is no (at least no easy way to find) location where this info is stored in a visible way or to redo them, just bite the bullet and say a few nasty words to let the steam flow… :-)

I have to say that in the CS6 I have not had it very often so there seems to be a small improvement.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 4:53 PM   in reply to ncjakobsen

I use Win 7 and have never had a stack problem and I use quite a few stacks.   So perhaps an OS thing?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 15, 2013 2:13 AM   in reply to ncjakobsen
    I think the stack info must be in some sidecar somewhere.

If that would be the case then try to check the option to show hidden files in the menu view and check if making a stack adds info to one of those files by selecting the sort order on modification date.

And if it comes down to professional asset management I fully agree with you that Stack and Pray is not the goal we should wish. But I also often state that Bridge is not a real DAM and for good asset management on a long term base you should use a dedicated DAM application.

Bridge has changed its cache format for almost every new cycle, some people never have trouble with Stacks, like Curt, and some on a regular base.

Deleting prefs and every now and the dump the complete cache seems to help a bit but there are still a lot of mysterious things happening under the hood of Bridge.

Personally I have Canto Cumulus single user for storing files in my archive, lightning fast search and highly customizable. But the things Bridge is good at (all that needs to be done before the files are finally processed) Cumulus is not so good, or even very bad.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 3:10 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

The stack information is kept in the hidden file .BridgeSort, same file that is used for a manual sort that is in the current folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 11:44 AM   in reply to ncjakobsen

I did write a script to back up a manual sort and as it is the same file it might help?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4750251

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points