Skip navigation
Beiners99
Currently Being Moderated

Can you render clips on PC as ProRes using AE Cs5.5?

Feb 13, 2013 10:40 PM

So I went to export a clip I edited in AE to reedit in Premiere Pro but there is no option to export in ProResHQ?  I have been doing some research and I found different reports such as: There is no ProRes Codec for Windows, only Mac  OR There is a ProRes codec for PC which you can edit but you can't render in AE unless you have Final Cut Pro?

Can anyone please help me out here?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2013 11:02 PM   in reply to Beiners99

ProRes does not exist natively on Windows. Quicktime can only provide read access for ProRes 422 files, but does not offer any encoding options. You need tools like this to produce ProRes on Windows:

http://www.cinemartin.com/cinec/

Also ffmpeg has had a proRes component for a while now...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to Beiners99

Why do you say that an AVI is "obviously too big"?

There's no problem with using large files as intermediates in a post-production workflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 1:15 PM   in reply to Beiners99

You need to learn the difference between production codecs and delivery codecs. A production codec is any codec that renders every frame, is visually lossless, and that will fit natively in your production pipeline. There are lots of options. Uncompressed codecs are lossless but require so much processor power do decode them and have such a high data rate that they will usually not playback in real time.

A delivery codec is one that is designed for high quality playback with minimum data rates. These usually, but not always, involve inter frame processing. That means that only a few frames actually contain all of the pixel information and the frames between the real ones are using interpolated data to predict where the pixels should be. This includes all of the MPEG codecs including h.264.

On a windows system you could use png QuickTime (gives an alpha) or any of the free PC codecs from Black Magic Design, Avid or others. Just avoid loading catch all 3rd party codec packs that promise to do all. They usually foul everything else up.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 5:02 AM   in reply to Beiners99

Hi, i developped a little plugin to do that directly in AE, you can find it here> http://www.dubon.fr/conversion-prores422/

Anyway, you can import your after effects comp directly in premiere, why do you want to export it?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 7:30 PM   in reply to Mylenium

Hello Mylenium,

I've seen your posts in other forums as well.  With regard to the cinec converter.  I've used it a few times and maybe you can help.

First, it seems to work with smaller files but I noticed it seems to cut off frames at beginning an end.  I can add a file with a set number of frames, and each time, it displays a differnt count, usually clipping the end.

Is this a known issue?

And then second and more importantly, I tried it with a full length movie of about 70 minutes and it didn't seem to be able to handle it.

Appreciate any help.  Now to post one to the next guy.

Thanks,
    Eric

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 7:34 PM   in reply to Guigozz

Hello,

I also found your plugin and I didn't have any luck.  I'm guessing I did something wrong so hopefully you can help me.

I installed the plugin and it does show in AE.  When I tried it, it just sort of sat there but not before opening every comp in my project.  Not actually opening the comp I should say, but in the explorer window where all your comps, solids, etc are, it opened the "tree" for each.

In looking at your website again, it says it doesn't render directly from comps.  So, should I understand that to mean, I need to first render out my project to like an uncompressed .mov first or something and then bring that back in for conversion?

I could use your help on this.  I do have adobe premiere which I just recently got so not all that familiar with it.

Thanks,
    Eric

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points