Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I enhance Sony Z5 recorded "Smooth Slomo rec" footage? Please help!!

Feb 14, 2013 4:43 AM

Tags: #sony #plugin #smooth #z5 #rec #artefact #slomo #sowmotion

Hi,

I need help! I used the Smooth Slomo Rec function on my Z5 and on the LCD screen it looked normal (even looked awesome)! Now in post I'm getting the scare of my life because the footage is downright crappy!:( I went online to search for a solution, but the only thing I find now is that people don't advise it and that's about it!

Problem is I recorded some unique things abroad and there's no way of going back there to reshoot!:(

Is there some way to polish these shots so I can use them?? Maybe some plugins or something like that?

Please help me out, I don't know what to do with it!

Thanks in advance!

Grtz,

Tim

(As you can hopefully see on the picture there's artefacting around the bikers and also around the letters of the commercial in the back. If there's a way to solve it, I would be happy to hear it, because I really need to use this footage somehow!)

Screenshot Smooth Slomo Rec 1.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 14, 2013 7:24 AM   in reply to TRifficVision

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately there is a trade-off with the Sony HDV cameras and slow-mo. They record a short burst of high-frame rate video to memory then write that to tape. However, it records a greatly reduced resolution and I don't know how you would recover quality that is just not there. The compression artifacting is terrible on the sample image. Hindsight is 20/20, but always best to experiment with any fancy camera features at home to fully understand how they work before shooting important stuff.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 14, 2013 7:40 AM   in reply to TRifficVision

That looks like bad JPEG compression.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's something you can fix without a reshoot and a higher bitrate.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points