Skip navigation
beckmill
Currently Being Moderated

Changing the default font in Adobe

Feb 14, 2013 1:37 PM

Tags: #font

I am beside myself with Acrobat. Somehow the default font in my Acrobat IX Professional got switched to something called 'Minion-Regular'. That's an AWFUL font. I have no idea how it became the default, except that it started happening a few days ago. How can I change this god-awful font to something that's readable - Arial, Verdana, etc. A sans-serif font is what I need. This minion thing is atrocious. Thanks in advance for help from anyone. I'm at my wits' end with Acrobat. Absolutely at my wits' end.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 14, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to beckmill

Please explain exactly what you mean by "default font". Asking because there actually lots and lots of places a font is chosen. Step by step, how do you get to the point of seeing this font?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 8:58 PM   in reply to beckmill

First, open one of the PDFs you are having problems with and use ctrl-D to get to the document properties and check the fonts tab. If it is a well created PDF, the fonts will be listed as embedded, and most likely subset. When they are not embedded, Acrobat tries to select a font that is closest to that which was used. I think some versions of WORD have changed to the Minion font that you are talking about. I prefer Times Roman (or new roman on Windows) and Arial (Helvetica on a MAC is basic equaivalent). WORD has started changing to new fonts that they think everyone wants. A lot of folks I know initially go into WORD and change a lot of the defaults that are annoying.

Anyway, check the fonts in the file and see if the Minion font is listed. If so, Acrobat is simply giving you what the author used, even if you do not like it. Since you are using the touchup text tool and are finding Minion listed there, I assume that the author used that font and it was not an issue of a default in Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to Bill@VT

I added Minion as it wasn't on my omputer I like the font myself. In 2011 (OfficeMac)  there are two fonts that are default for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. They are Calibri, and Cambria.

My personal preference for Word Documents is ITC Benguiat.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to beckmill

On the font tab, are all the fonts embedded in the PDF? Would it be possible to post a copy of sample WORD and resultant PDF documents that demonstrate the point (can be posted at Acrobat.com if needed -- attachments were removed a few years back because of security). If we can look at the details it might be possible to get closer. I am assuming that the fonts are not embedded. Also, what job settings were used when you created the PDF (with Acrobat) -- listed in the printer properties? I understand you used AA9, but is that 9.0 or 9.5.3 that is the latest? What is the exact process you are using to create the PDFs.

Age should not be the issue, I am just a few years behind you and I do understand the eye problem, though I fortunately have not had bad eye problems most of my life (I do hate those web sites with dark backgrounds and light yellow print letters!).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 6:29 AM   in reply to beckmill

I have the same problem and it's driving me mad.  In my case, though, I am editing a PDF made from a file (probably InDesign). I do not have access to the original document.

So when I click, Edit, Edit Images and Text, and click into a text box to change the contents, the font in the box (even if embedded) is changed to Minion Pro.  It's Futura, it's embedded, and it's SANS-FREAKING-SERIF, and Acrobat wants to change it to this worthless serif font in a different size.  I wind up right clicking the box and taking it into illustrator. I can make the change there, but it's a waste of time and it shouldn't be necessary.

I have poked around everywhere in the document, in the registry and in the application, and can find no place to substitute this useless font for something I can at least live with.

This is Acrobat XI Pro (11.0.3) in Windows 7, 64-bit. Help!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points