Skip navigation
RedPlanetClare
Currently Being Moderated

How to export a PSD file with layers to Fireworks PNG file.

Feb 15, 2013 5:34 AM

Tags: #export #png #fireworks #psd

Hi

I've been asked by someone I'm working for to supply the work I've done as a PNG file that can be edited. I was told that a layered PSD file can be converted to a layered fireworks PNG file. I've tried all sorts of things but either ended up with a flattened image or each layer as a seperate file. I've searched all over for answers but nothing as yet!

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2013 6:19 AM   in reply to RedPlanetClare

Yes, individual PNG-24 files from Photoshop is what you want. In Photoshop, File>Scripts>Export Layers to Files; browse to save location; choose PNG-24 as the file type; check transparency. Prior to this, if you have floating imagery in any layers in the Photoshop file, you will want to place 1-pixel dots in 2 opposing image corners on those layers, so the all layer sizes will be exported at the same size, for layer-registration when composed in Fireworks. Then delete those dots in the exported PNG files and resave.

Then you will need to compose the layers in Fireworks. Once you get your individual layers in PNG format, you might want to pose this question in the Fireworks forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to DrStrik9

DrStrik9 wrote:

Yes, individual PNG-24 files from Photoshop is what you want [...]

Can you not simply open a layered PSD in Fireworks then export to layered Fireworks PNG?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to RedPlanetClare

If you export the layers as separate PNGs then the text will not be editable type. PNG is a raster format - all pixels.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 7:08 AM   in reply to RedPlanetClare

PNG is not a layered format to begin with. All that Fireworks does is massively exploit the format's ability to save multiple (sub-) images in a single file and then store editable data in custom data sections. Or in other words: Only Fireworks can read and produce such a format.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points