I have a shape I made with the pen tool, and now I want to align one anchor point of the shape with the middle of a rectangle. How can I do this? It doesn't seem like I can do what I do for objects, which is select both objects, click the object I want to align to, and hit align. If I'm not describing this properly let me know and I can try to clarify.
Hmmnnn… While it's possible to align 2 or more individual points, or 2 or more individual objects, if you try to align points with objects you ruin one or the other.
Best bet would be to turn on smart guides, and manually align your objects. Once your close with smart guides, zoom waaaay in and work in outline view. drag the point over the center of your object.
Manual, but effective. hope it helps,
another way to do it...
1. move your mouse over the Anchor you wish to align and notice the X coordinate (176)
2. move your mouse over the Center of the rectangle and notice the X coordinate (321)
3. Select your shape and go to Object->Transform->Move...
4. On the Horizontal Position box, type 321-176
5. hit OK
6. repeat to Align Vertically if necessary
1. grab the Rectangle Tool
2. move your mouse on top of the Anchor you wish to align
3. draw a rectangle wider than the shape, centered on the Anchor
- click and drag to draw a rectangle (don't release yet),
- then press Alt to make it centered on top of the anchor,
- release the mouse, then the Alt key.
4. select both your shape and the rectangle
5. press Ctrl+G to group them
6. select both, the newly created group and the rectangle
7. align your shapes
8. ungroup and delete your temporary rectangle
9. to align vertically, make your temp rectangle wider and taller than your shape.
My acting would consist of playing with the Convert to Rectangle effect, probably in conjunction with a graphic style.
But as long as s.n.l. has no convincing reason to automatise the task, I'd rather recommend and rely on smart guides.
Europe, Middle East and Africa