Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Any advice? Canon 6D and CS5

Feb 15, 2013 10:58 AM

So my CS5 will not read my Canon 6D files when I shoot in RAW. I figured out how to convert(dowloaded the DNG converter)  but now a new problem! Can someone explain this...

The photo that I have taken on my Canon 6D is 19.1 MB. When I take it off my camera and onto my computer.

I had to download the DNG converter for my CS5 to read the file.

When I take the photo into CS5 my Camera RAW window opens up (before it goes directly into Photoshop).

I tweak my pic and then hit "open"...it opens in photoshop and then I save my file to jpg....and the file size is now 9MB...why is this happening? Why is it going from 19 to 10?! I dont want to lose that much information? Is it because its going to jpg?

The reason I am exporting the final as a jpg is because I am buring it onto a disc and I dont know another format that most computers can read? For example I am giving some photos of a valentines shoot to my in laws and I dont know what thier computer can read...so I pick jpg?

I thought about upgrading to CS6...but someone posted that this will not fix my problem of photoshop reading my RAW files?

I also have lightroom 4 but have not opened it yet...any suggestions?

Can someone help out? This may be an easy fix?!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to froco5

froco5 wrote:

I thought about upgrading to CS6...but someone posted that this will not fix my problem of photoshop reading my RAW files?

The Canon 6D is supported by Adobe Camera Raw 7.3 and Lightroom 4.3

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cam eras.html

Camera Raw 7+ is only supported in Photoshop CS6 and above so Photoshop CS6 will certainly read your 6D Raw files. Download the Photoshop CS6 Trial version and see for yourself.

Best to post this question in the Photoshop forum

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/general

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to froco5

As I read this you had a 19 meg raw file and you downloaded it and changed to jpeg.  Jpeg uses compression so that sounds about right.  If you want to preserve the max. quality, but do not want in in raw format use TIFF.  Tiff can be read by any program, but it will be a larger file than a jpeg.

CS6 will read the 6D raw files.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 15, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to froco5

froco5 wrote:

As has been said, the short answer is yes, an upgrade to current software will integrate your camera nicely into your image processing workflow.

You might want to consider the Adobe "Cloud Subscription" as you are a bit late in the Photoshop CS6 release cycle.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 5:03 PM   in reply to froco5

froco5 wrote:

The reason I am exporting the final as a jpg is because I am buring it onto a disc and I dont know another format that most computers can read? For example I am giving some photos of a valentines shoot to my in laws and I dont know what thier computer can read...so I pick jpg?

Don't know about your family, but if I sent a DVD with 19, or even 9 mb pictures they would not be pleased.  If doing a slide show they just take too long to load.  If just showing on a screen a lot lower quality can be used and still have sharp images.   My family would be much happier with 600K  shots.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 15, 2013 7:07 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Only thing is, if they want to be able to print, they might want the highest possible resolution (and thus quality).

Back when I used to make discs with event photos, I'd include separate sets of images for running slideshows and for making prints.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yes, I get that entirely, but they just view on the screen.  Rather than prints they post to a online scrapbook.  Think my wife is only one that makes prints, and they are just 4x6 from a 3 meg file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points