Skip navigation
GingerGarden
Currently Being Moderated

How do you create a shot that has several different video "layers"?

Feb 15, 2013 11:44 AM

Tags: #layers #clips #premiere_pro_cs6 #after_effects_cs6

I saw an episode of Workaholics where Adam stays up all night and there is a part where he is sitting on the kitchen floor but there is a "second" Adam running around the house at the same time. I would like to try and recreate this but I'm new to Premiere and I don't know the exact terminology that would explain this better. For reference, it is episode 12 "telamerican horror story" of season 3.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2013 11:52 AM   in reply to GingerGarden

I believe that is called Picture in Picture

I think that is covered in one of the tutorials in message #3 http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to GingerGarden

Ah, in that case, you would shoot the same actor, several times (different actions), against a greenscreen, and Key them out, superimposing each in your "background."

Besides PrPro, do you also have Adobe After Effects? If so, it has a neat feature, the RotoBrush, that could be useful for this (separating your actor from the scene, in which they were filmed).

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to GingerGarden

For the RotoBrush in AE, here is a good place to start: http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/04/roto-brush-in-after-effect s-cs.html

I think that you will probably find some treatments, very similar to what you describe.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Yes, that sort of thing is usally doen as a PiP or a split screen, which PrPro has presets for.

If you wnat to composite and blend the shots together, you'll need to play wrounf with heying, as partially described below. I haven't seen the pogram you cited, so I can't explain what methods they may have used. A screenshot would help, if possible -- Preferably not TV-MA rated one...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 11:44 PM   in reply to jstrawn

If you stick with split screen and avoid having the talent cross in front of himself, it's easy. The split does not have to be a straight line. If can be as complicated as using the sixteen point garbage matte, or if you cut it really close, you can use mattes to confine each character to a particular place on the frame. Once the person cross over himself, the game changes.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 12:54 AM   in reply to GingerGarden

That scene could be a problem.

The guy through the doorway is easy as is one of the two guys at the refridgerator.

But as soon as one of those two guys crosses the other, a 30 minute edit just became an hour of pain and suffering, or more, to edit each and every frame individually. If you are practiced at it, then fine. Otherwise, plan to devote an hour per frame for the first few frames.

Also, when you shoot the scene, you must, I repeat, MUST have your lighting under control. No sunshine, no stars, no Moon, nothing external coming in anywhere. Otherwise, if your lighting changes, you will spend a LOT of time fixing it, and it still won't be perfect.

One other thing. Your tripod has to be very sturdy and locked down absolutely tight. The slightest movement will completely ruin the scene.

However, with proper lighting, a steady tripod, and an actor/actress who hits their marks and never crosses over the boundaries between characters, it is a pretty easy job to get two, three, or even more instances done in just a few minutes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points