Skip navigation
chrisdq82
Currently Being Moderated

How to get 2 program monitors?

Feb 15, 2013 2:10 PM

Tags: #premiere_pro #cs6 #waveforms #program_monitor #scopes #reference_monitor

Hi,

So i'm using the reference monitor to check exposure and color and what not, but the reference monitor doesn't show a live feed during playback. It will only show me my reference information when i pause playback in the Premiere Pro sequence. Using CS6 by the way.

So i learned that my scopes can also be displayed in the program monitor, but then i can't see my footage.

is there no way to playback my footage AND see live waveforms and scopes? this is really getting frustrating to me. Or a way to get 2 program monitors so i can set one to all scopes and the other to composite video?

thanks in advance!

chris

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2013 3:13 PM   in reply to chrisdq82
    is there no way to playback my footage AND see live waveforms and scopes?

Nope.  Please yell at Adobe for this.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 4:11 PM   in reply to chrisdq82

The current simplest solution is to use multiple monitors. I'll post a picture tomorrow to show you what I mean, but in darkness the flash corrupts the picture too much.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 8:35 PM   in reply to chrisdq82

Open a Reference Monitor and  set it to display  whatever scopes you  need.

You will then have the Program Monitor displaying  your Sequence ( timeline) and your Referene Monitor displaying scopes of your choice.

Harm M. was talking about  taking a photo of his set up just so you know

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 11:20 PM   in reply to chrisdq82

OK, I think I can take a picture of this and get away with it - without a flash. (I had to back way up because I had a 45mm Prime on the camera and I was too lazy to put the 14-140 lens on in order to stand closer.)

I believe what Harm was going to show you is the left hand monitor. If you have two monitors, go into the Edit / Preferences / Playback settings and check the box next to your second (or third) monitor.

Capture.JPG

Here is a photograph of my screens. Not perfect, but not terrible. I think it will get the point across. I obviously can't post a full size image since it would not fit on most people's monitors. If you are using your Program monitor to look at scopes, then play the video on a different monitor. No, it is not the Program Monitor. It is better. Of course, yours might be on the right and not the left, but that is merely an individual preference.

Capture.JPG

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, I chose a frame to display that was way out of whack for white levels on purpose. I thought it would add more flavor.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 2:06 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

It is a repeating message after Steven's post, but this is what I wanted to show:

Monitor_small.png

This allows for source monitor, program monitor with all scopes showing and a full display of the program monitor and the scopes are updated all the time when playing the timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 4:16 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Having the scope on one monitor and the timeline on another is not very convenient.

I like to see them side by side on one monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 4:28 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

100% scale external video monitor should be mandatory - but even if you have - scopes doesn't work flawless...

If you use the MPE GPU Mode and adjust colors or move video layers around they don't update in realtime on the external monitor... so you can't check color changes in realtime on the scopes :-(

also the scopes performance is going down if GPU effects are activated...

So the scopes need some work to perform as expected - also a histogramm is missing...

(external solutions like an BMD Ultrascope are expensive and complicated to install if you don't use SDI wiring - so it would be the better route to install another GPU to get some shader performance free for the scopes instead of setting up another PC...)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

What is stopping you from this configuration?

Monitor_small_1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Hi Harm,

"What is stopping you from this configuration?"

--> I use Premiere with MPE GPU and external monitor connected via Display Port

1. If I set the programm monitor to scopes I don't see color corrector adjustments in realtime at the external monitor.

(I see realtime scopes at the program monitor but the external monitor isn't updated since I stop dragging a slider - so I don't see the color change until mouse release...)

2. same thing if I transform a video layer - if for example I move a video layer I don't see the movement on the external screen until mouse release - so you don't can move it interactively to a new pos. (on the proram monitor set to scopes everything is updated in realtime)

3. Premiere scopes are running smoothly as long as no effects are applied to the sequence - so I have to decide between realtime scopes versus realtime GPU effects on the other side (with GPU effects the scope refresh becomes very slowly)

as long as I don't saturate CPU or GPU shaders to much I don't see why the scopes are slowing down... (I suspect they are implemented in a way that doesn't run smootly along with te GPU effects)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to nw42

Oh well, then I suppose you need to add your name to the list.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I have never used a workflow that required realtime scopes during color correction, so it isn't an issue for me. But perhaps adding your name to a list with Ann's name on it could be the final push needed to get Adobe's attention.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to chrisdq82

Hi chrisdq82,

Yes - you set the program monitor to scopes and connect an second external fullscreen video monitor...

when you press play - you will get "realtime scopes" in the program monitor and fullscreen playback at the external monitor as you wanted...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to chrisdq82

Please read post #7. If that doesn't help, I will put together a tutorial.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to chrisdq82

as Steven already wrote above:

If you have two monitors, go into the Edit / Preferences / Playback settings and check the box next to your second (or third) monitor.

He also had a screenshot in his post...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 5:55 PM   in reply to chrisdq82

Persistance? When you want something bad enough, you keep after it.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points