Skip navigation
pictureguysteve01
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom images darker in Photoshop

Feb 15, 2013 2:02 PM

After I edit images in Lightroom 4, I export the jpg images to a new folder.  When I open the jpg's in Photoshop or Bridge they are noticeably darker than they were when exported from LR. What am I doing wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2013 2:26 PM   in reply to pictureguysteve01

Are the exported files a different format from the original?

Are you attaching a different color profile to the images?

Are you comparing similar maginfications of the image (1:1 in LR, 100% in Photoshop)?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 3:55 PM   in reply to pictureguysteve01

You CR2 files are going to be 16-bit while the JPEGs are only 8. There will be a loss of color in that transition. Try importing the JPEG into Lightroom and then comparing the appearance in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 4:42 PM   in reply to pictureguysteve01

There are three possible reasons for this.

I. Photoshop is set up incorrectly to ignore embedded icc profiles. Fix this in the color settings preferences and make sure for all options it says to respect embedded profiles.

II. The display profile is corrupt. This is quite common and can be fixed by recalibrating using calibration hardware. Make sure to generate a icc v2 matrix display profile.

III. Your eyes are fooled and files just look darker because photoshop tends to have brighter panels and surroundings on the image than Lightroom (not anymore so in CS6 though)

Most likely you are dealing with II. That is the cause of differences between Lightroom and Photoshop in 99% of the time. This often occurs on Windows machines that have not properly been calibrated.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 8:42 AM   in reply to pictureguysteve01

After looking into it more I think my problem may be with the color profile.  I'm using the eye-one display 2 with eye-one match 3 software on my i mac cinema display.  The general options on the eye-one software are set to ICC specification version 2.  Monitor profile size is set to "Small (Matrix)"  Should I change something there?

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,389 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Feb 19, 2013 5:58 PM   in reply to Brett N

Brett N wrote:

You CR2 files are going to be 16-bit while the JPEGs are only 8. There will be a loss of color in that transition. Try importing the JPEG into Lightroom and then comparing the appearance in Photoshop.

Really? I've never seen the same color space on two images but in differing bit depth produce a difference in color appearance. Convert an image from 16-bit to 8-bit in Photoshop and they appear identical.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,389 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Feb 19, 2013 6:01 PM   in reply to pictureguysteve02

pictureguysteve02 wrote:

After looking into it more I think my problem may be with the color profile.  I'm using the eye-one display 2 with eye-one match 3 software on my i mac cinema display.  The general options on the eye-one software are set to ICC specification version 2.  Monitor profile size is set to "Small (Matrix)"  Should I change something there?

What can be an issue is if you build V4 profiles which depending on the software generating said profile, LR can have issues with. You could try a LUT profile but that's sometimes the cause of issues you see (again, depending on the package that writes the ICC profile). By all means try LUT or double check that the settings is Matrix.

You do want to view Photoshop and LR whereby LR is in Develop module and as said, at 1:1. Zooming out can affect the accuracy of the preview.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points