Skip navigation
JDHayes99
Currently Being Moderated

Cropping of excess transformed objects

Feb 15, 2013 2:58 PM

Tags: #illustrator #mask #crop #clipping #distort_transform

My problem is as follows:

I have created a series of circles starting with a base circle then using two transform operations -- one to copy it down then another to copy the whole set across.  So that leaves me with a grid of circles.

I have created an irregular clipping mask to restrict the circles to within the area of the clipping mask (blue sploosh)

Everything looks fine in illustrator.  I have included a snapshot here with the clipping mask released so that you can see the objects being worked with.

clip-mask-problem-illustrator.jpg

The problem comes in when I go to copy & past that artwork into photoshop.  What I get is the full spread of (clipped) circles which messes up sizing inside photoshop.  The clipping mask hid the excess circles but it did not get rid of them.  I have further tried using the pathfinder crop tool but that doesn't seem to work with transformed objects.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get rid of the spare inner circles so they are really gone and not simply hidden by the clip mask?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2013 3:12 PM   in reply to JDHayes99

JDHayes,

What happens if you do the destructive deed on a copy of the artwork?

1) Select the Clipping Mask,

2) In the Transparency palette/panel dropdown list select anything but Normal (Multiply is fine),

3) Object>Flatten Transparency, just keep the defaults including 100% Vector,

4) Shudder.

If it works, you will get rid of everything outside the Bounding Box of the Clipping Path (the splosh).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2013 3:05 AM   in reply to JDHayes99

You are welcome, JDHayes.

I thought you used the original (presumed partly transparent) blue sploosh as the Clipping Path with an untouched copy on top of everything to keep the blueness, and that you had a simple white square under the suction cups, so that you ended up with a sploosh shaped mask.

If you use a nofill square on top of everything (I just noticed the line through some of the cups) as the Clipping Path, things are different, of course.

In any case, it is important to select everything that is supposed to be included as visible parts of the mask. If the sploosh is behind the cups and in front of the square, it will drop to the bottom in the stacking order, beneath the mask and thereby hidden beneath the masked square, unless it is selected along with the other paths before applying the mask.

You can follow what is going on the the Layers palette/panel.

Can you show a few images/screenshots of before and after your applying the Clipping Mask?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points