Skip navigation
sngraphics2
Currently Being Moderated

Why does BridgeCS6 not display the contents of certain folders?

Feb 15, 2013 3:24 PM

I will be searching for something in Bridge CS6, going through my various folders and all of sudden Bridge will not display the contents of a certain folder (or even folders) for no apparent reason.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to this and happens randomly.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

Bridge will not display any of the items in a certain folder/volume/drive.

Below is screen shot of what happens

BridgeNoDisplay.jpg

This has been happening from the day I installed CS6 about a month ago and I have applied all the updates that have been released.

I am on OSX 10.6.8.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2013 5:16 PM   in reply to sngraphics2

By searching for a folder I take it you are manually selecting the folders, and not using Find to search.  Does this same folder always not show anything, or just sometimes?  It you use Tools/cache/purge cache for xxxx folder do the files appear?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2013 3:50 AM   in reply to sngraphics2

Could all this have something to do with an error message I have been getting from day one every time I start up Bridge.

CS6 came with (again) with a different format of cache and you needed to recache the files and folders for a new cache file. If you don't use CS5 anymore (and with CS6 on your system there is no need for anymore) I would suggest to manually delete the cache files for both and start over again.

Here is the route I used many times to have a fresh start when Bridge had serious problems. (read first and then try)

Quit Bridge and got to your user library (that is the library in your user account, not the system library on root level). Here is the path to follow:

User (your name) / library / caches / Adobe / Bridge CS6. Inhere are two files (Adobe Bridge Plug-in Cache and a folder called cache). Drag both files outside the library (preferable in the trash but that is up to you). Both files will refresh them selfs with new, fresh and empty folders once you have restarted Bridge.

If there is still a folder for Bridge CS5 in this location I would also delete these contents in here. The cache files can grow to huge proportions and you can have only one Bridge version active at the same time.

Then in the same library as above (User (your name) / library /) go to the preferences folder and inhere find and delete the plist file for Bridge (com.adobe.bridge5.plist) by dragging it also to the trash.

Now restart Bridge with holding down option key and choose to reset the preferences.

This provides you with a new and fresh Bridge as per out of the box. You will need to reset your preferences to your custom wishes but if you have saved custom workspaces they all should be there and you can restore them with the option under the workspaces triangle in the Bridge top bar, only the UI colors need to be reset if you have customized them before).

But you also have to cache the files again for thumbs, previews and ACR settings. Depending on the size and amount of files you have this will take a bit of time. I usually select the main folder where are my subfolders with pictures are placed in and in the menu View I select the option to show items from subfolders. Then I let it run overnight (have a lot of large files on my system). After that all my files are cached and ready for use.

You have to be aware that Bridge can be very processor demanding when caching and having enough free space left on your disk but especially enough RAM installed this should not be a big problem. While the minimum system requirements show something as 1 or 2 GB of RAM more RAM is recommended. RAM is very cheap these days and if you have the option you should max your system out with as much as possible. All applications will provide from this improvement

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points