Skip navigation
Andelin
Currently Being Moderated

Issue with dropshadow

Feb 15, 2013 3:28 PM

I have created a catalog page (CMYK) in InDesign CS4 and a title "Adventures" in yellow, font outlined with a dropshadow. Somehow the PDF looks fine on screen but when printed, it shows the "A" of adventures darker, sort of behind the shadow but the other letters are fine. That said, the A in question is right on the edge of a cloud on the photo.

I wonder what is causing this problem, any clue?

see jpeg attached

issue.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2013 4:37 PM   in reply to Andelin

Is the color model of the document the same as the color model of the placed picture? Are any other object frames littered on the page in that area of the InDesign document? Have you checked ON the switch in the print dialog box called Simulate Overprint or it might be labeled Overprint?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 3:12 AM   in reply to Andelin

Michael wasn't suggesting you turn off overprint inthe Attributes panel, he was suggesting you enable it in the Print dialog, and that's an important distinction. What, exactly, WAS set to overprint, iinthe attributes, and do you know why it was set that way?

It would help to see a larger portion of the page with frame edges showing.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

The cause is very likely to be:
    The single character "A" in the headline is set to "overprint".

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to Andelin

Her's one scenario that might have caused the overprint.

You mentioned that you converted the text to outlines. If the text starteed as [Black], by default it would have overprinted. Changing the color to anything else while the text was live would have set it to knock out, but in a little experiment I just did converting the text to outlines, while it was still black, set the overprint attribute in the Attributes panel, and a subsequent change of color did not change the overprint.

From that I conclude it's important to change the color of text before converting to outlines, IF you find it necessary to do a conversion. I'm not sure why you found it necessary....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points