Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Styles Palette Listing Most of My Styles Twice?

Feb 16, 2013 12:21 AM

For some reason my Styles Palette lists "most" of my style-sets twice? There is a horizontal rule below my last style listing in the flyout menu before it starts listing them again? Loading a style from either list works. I have done a search on my hard drive and on one file exists for each style .asl file.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to choreo

Photoshop is just showing you the list of files in your presets folder.

But you have duplicated files in your presets folder for some reason.

So you need to remove the duplicated files.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2013 1:23 PM   in reply to choreo

Searches can miss things, especially in hidden folders.

What system do you have?

Could you show a screen grab of what you're looking at so we can see it too?  Use the little camera icon just above the edit box to upload an image.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to choreo

I guess you could have the .asl files duplicated in two folders:

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Presets/Styles

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Presets/Styles

The first contains presets for all users of the computer, the second is personal property of the current user. If my guess is correct then remove the superfluous .asl files, then when you relaunch Ps, the duplicates won't be listed in the Styles panel menu.

You can get to these folders easily by pressing Shift+Cmd+G in Finder and pasting a path into the Go To Folder dialog then hitting OK.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to choreo

Why so hasty to delete the entire "~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Presets/" ?

Are you sure you didn't have any presets such as Brushes or Swatches or Gradients, etc, saved in there? If you did and want to restore them then they should still be in Trash unless you've emptied that.

The folders that have been recreated are supposed to be there and they are the recommended folders for you to save your personal presets.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 7:59 PM   in reply to choreo

choreo wrote:

So I do not know what purpose the Library Presets folder serves?

Two folders:

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Presets

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Presets

The first contains presets for all users of the computer and it stores the presets provided by the Photoshop installer package.

The second contains additional presets of the current user and will be listed in the presets menus only when that user is logged in.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 4:45 AM   in reply to choreo

Presets will be saved wherever you direct Photoshop to save them. You are able to navigate through the folders structure in the Save dialog. Maybe Mountain Lion is hiding your Library, though. You can do Shift+Cmd+G (Go To Folder) in a Save dialog. I would enable visibility of the user Library - easy instructions can be found by Google.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points