Skip navigation
Peternetnew
Currently Being Moderated

Transferring tags after disk partitioning

Feb 16, 2013 4:21 AM

Tags: #restore_tags #partitioned

My hard disk crashed and the new one is partitioned into B: and C: with the pics copied back to B: How can I get PSE10 to find the tags, etc. I don't want to have to create a new catalogue and tag thousands of files again.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2013 4:26 AM   in reply to Peternetnew

Where were the photos before the crash?

Did you make a backup of your PSE10 catalog?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 5:54 AM   in reply to Peternetnew

You need to find the catalog file from before the crash. It is named *.pse10db. If you can find that, we can instruct you on what to do next.

By the way, it sounds like you are saying you did not have a backup available, but you recovered the originals from before the crash. If that's the case, you are living very dangerously and you need to begin making regular backups of your photos and catalog file to a different hard disk (probably an external hard disk).

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,805 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2013 6:03 AM   in reply to Peternetnew

The default location is usually something like this:

C:\Users\99jon\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My Catalog\

AppData may be a hidden system file; so see this link before you start.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Show-hidden-files

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 3:23 AM   in reply to Peternetnew

Just to let you know, catalog backup can be done using File >> Backup Catalog to CD/DVD/HD.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 4:30 AM   in reply to Peternetnew

The easiest approach to restoring your catalog is:

1. Using your operating system, move the photos from B: back to C:, and put them in the EXACT SAME location they were in before the crash
    2. Double-click on the pse10db file

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 5:30 AM   in reply to Peternetnew

It doesn't matter what drive the catalog is located on.

If the photos have to stay on the B: drive, then you need to reconnect the photos inside of the PSE Organizer.

So, double-click on the catalog file to open it. Here are the instructions to reconnect the photos: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/333/333358.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 5:33 AM   in reply to Peternetnew

Peternetnew wrote:

Not enough room on the new C:, so is it possible to move the catalog file to B:?

No, the catalog stores the path to find your pictures where they are physically. The path recorded in the catalog contains the drive identification : drive letter (C:) and the serial number of the drive, plus the complete folder path.

In your case, the drive identification is no longer valid, even if the files have been restored in the exact same folder tree.

So, moving the catalog would not help, it would still search the files on the old drive.

Even if you had enough free space on drive C:, it would have a different serial number. The organizer could probalbly find your files based on the drive letter only; but since the serial number is wrong, that would cause problems in the future.

So, your best choice today is to try to 'reconnect' the missing files :

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1050248?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

Peternetnew wrote:

Not enough room on the new C:, so is it possible to move the catalog file to B:?

MichelBParis wrote:

No,

On the contrary, YES it is possible.

It is also unnecessary to do so.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to dj_paige

dj_paige wrote:

Peternetnew wrote:

MichelBParis wrote:

No,

On the contrary, YES it is possible.

It is also unnecessary to do so.

I was writing before seeing your post (we have the same advice) and the rest of my post is clear enough : it means that NO, moving the catalog is NOT a solution for the reasons explained after the 'No'. And yes, it's both possible and unnecessary

By the way, being and old school DOS user, I would never have had the idea to assign a letter 'B:' to a drive partition...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points