Skip navigation
Craig-Intermediat
Currently Being Moderated

openGL problems in photoshop cs5 64bit

Feb 16, 2013 7:22 AM

Tags: #photoshop #opengl

I have a nvidia GTX 550Ti graphics card with all available driver updates. Some features of openGL work without problem. The main problem I have is preview of animation with ray trace and export of finished animation. Niether will work. The preview will just hang unless you repeatly click the mouse button, at which point the animation will proceed appx. 1 frame per click. Video export will not complete. Immideatly after clicking export a status bar appears which is already half full. Processor (amd phenom II X6 1055) will run at 80 percent. Graphics card access is at zero. This will run forever unless I stop it, with no results. If I change rendering settings to bounding box or wireframe everything works fine, but I need better output than a wireframe. It seems photoshop recognizes my card just fine as openGL is enabled by default. (tested by erasing user presets on restart) I had the same issue when I was in school and somehow found a workaround for it, but since have reinstalled and lost my settings. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Any help/advice would be greatly appriected!!

Craig

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 16, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to Craig-Intermediat

I haven't done just what you're describing, but I do know that Photoshop does all its final 3D rendering in the CPU, not the GPU.  That, of course, doesn't explain why you're being stalled during the preview.

CPU-based 3D rendering can take a very, VERY long time - depending on your document content and settings it could be literally hours per frame.  You're saying you never see that status bar move?

Have you changed settings in Edit - Preferences - 3D?  What is your image size (h x w x depth)?

I don't know how big your project is or whether you'd be willing to share it, but if you make it available online I'll be happy to try the same things you are to see if maybe it's something with the project, vs. your particular system.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 16, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to Craig-Intermediat

I don't think there's a way using the forum software only - it handles smaller files, such as JPEGs or PNGs for forum posts, but not big data files.  You have to find a file hosting site if you don't have one yourself.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 16, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to Craig-Intermediat

Well, it opens up fine, and when I click the play button it just plays through.  The pin starts backlit, zooms out, then comes in close and the light comes around front.

I started an "Export - Video" and set the ray tracing and other settings as shown here.  A progress bar opens and starts at the beginning.  It seems to busy my cores very little - on average about 5%, but it DOES make progress, albeit glacially slowly.  At this rate I'd predict completion in 20 minutes or so.  I see the Time Remaining indicator in the document status area go across again and again, indicating rendering of each frame I think.

ScreenGrab_02_16_2013_130919.jpg

This is with Photohsop CS6 13.0.1 on Windows 7 x64 with ATI Radeon HD 7850.

I may have misspoken earlier about Photoshop rendering only in the CPU.  That's true for STILL images - I don't know about this video rendering.  It's probably true there too, but I have heard that the Adobe video software (Premiere Pro) can use GPU acceleration for video rendering, and I just don't know how much they may have married that into Photoshop.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 16, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Oops, it just hit me like a ton of bricks that you said CS5 in your subject.  Unfortunately I only moved up to Extended with Photoshop CS6, so I can't reproduce your setup exactly.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Using CS5.1 on OS X 10.6.8, I can preview and render the 150 frames to a video file with render mode set to Interactive (i.e. OpenGL), no problem.

Raytracing does work but it's the most ridiculously slow renderer that you're likely to encounter. Just one frame of 300 x 180 pixels in Raytrace Final mode could take an hour, and that's with the quality threshold at absolute minimum and more than one core's worth of processor working on the task. I tried several frames and gave up waiting after 20 minutes each time.

With render mode at Raytrace Draft (which doesn't calculate colour-bleeding by indirect illumination) I was able to produce video at about a frame per minute. That's at least 100 times slower than other renderers producing the same or better quality.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 16, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to Craig-Intermediat

Craig-Intermediat wrote:

did it finish? if so, how long did it take? do you know if it used your graphics card at all for rendering?

Yes, it did finish in RayTrace Final mode.  I took a nap so I didn't see it finish, but the file modification date on the mp4 file is 1:57PM, which implies it took about 45 minutes I guess.

Here's the video if you'd like to see it.  It's only 764 kbytes!

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/low-res.mp4

I could not detect any graphics card use to render that.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to Craig-Intermediat

Craig-Intermediat wrote:

Ok, so it appears that video rendering in photoshop really does take a long time. I rendered 10 frames in about 10 -15 min using ray traced draft.

Yep, that's consistent with my result using a 2.4 MHz GHz Core 2 Duo processor. (Noel has a monster of a computer so he may get far quicker rendering than you or I.)

Maybe different software to render the video that I could send a .psd or compatable file type to.

Blender is free and Open Source but I prefer Cinema 4D. There are many other options such as Maya, Max, Lightwave, Houdini, etc.

You can export a 3D layer from Photoshop in DAE format which will include models, materials, lights and camera (if you have specifically saved a camera in the Ps doc). You'd have to set up the animation in the app into which you import the DAE. Another export option is OBJ but it doesn't handle lights and cameras. The reliability of CS5 export of these files is something I do not know, but experience with anything 3D in Photoshop tells me to be very wary and to assume problems will occur.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points