Skip navigation
rtouart
Currently Being Moderated

Centering images with Data Merge

Feb 16, 2013 9:44 AM

Tags: #indesign #data_merge_images

I'm using Data Merge to place a single image on each page.  I have the frame centered on the page and its reference point set to the center.  I have the Data Merge options set to "Fit frame to content", but when I run the merge all the images align to the top left corner of the frame.  The frame expands or contracts as directed, but I would like for it to expand from the center.  What am I failing to do?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to rtouart

are you setting the reference point in the right place? You need to do this in the Frame Fitting Options.

hope that helps,

Michael Riordan

Adobe Certified Instructor

Digital DesignLab

http://www.learnadobesoftware.com

Sent from my iPad

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 1:44 PM   in reply to rtouart

Are your placeholders on the master page? I believe in CS6 there's a bug that prevents assigned frame fitting otions from working with master frames.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 4:37 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I feel the OP's frustration.

Normally to center an item within a data merge, the controls for that are within the content placement options in the data merge flyout - it's the center in frame checkbox:

normal way.jpg

However as the OP has realised, it doesn't work for "fit frame to images" - instead the frame fitting options take the measurement from the top left. There is a workaround:

1. Create a text box larger than the largest image that is part of the merge. Align the text to be centered not only left and right, but top and bottom (from the text frame options). If done correctly, the flashing cursor should be in the center of the textbox.
    2. Draw a graphic frame anywhere outside of this textbox and then cut and paste it into the textbox. If done correctly the box should be centered within the textbox.
    3. Assign the image field of the data merge to the center box.
    4. From the content placement options, make sure that the fitting has "fit frame to images"

Voila! it should work.

Yes, the same thing can be achieved by drawing a frame larger than the largest image that is part of the merge, and then from the content placement options, choosing "preserve frame and image sizes" and having the center in frame checkbox turned on... the advantage with the method above is that the image has its frame around it to the right size that will scale when the image does... the "preserve frame and image size" won't allow this.

If I'm not explaining myself properly, go to https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55743036/2013-02-17%20centering%20dm%20pics.z ip and download the files to see what I mean. Missing links may appear... simply substitute them with the intended data merge.

Colly

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points