Skip navigation
xiahtic
Currently Being Moderated

How to erase thin white line that automatically appears around edited figure in image? (CS6)

Feb 16, 2013 9:49 AM

A thin white border around the figure that I had edited appeared out of nowhere. I was able to erase it before editing the background but now I can't erase it or remember how I did that.

최강창민_일본잡지_g0i9w.jpg

Does anyone know how to get rid of this line? If by setting the eraser color to the background color, how do I do that? As I get rid of the line, I'd also like to refine the figure's outline so it becomes cleaner.

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,978 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 16, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to xiahtic

Look a some of the tutorials on Russell Brown web site on advanced masking and pay close attention to refining the edges.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to xiahtic

Can I assume by "had edited," that you had someone else edit the image for you? If so, they need to create their mask selection one or two pixels inward from the edge of the figure, preferrably at a higher resolution than your jpeg.

If the document is multi-layered, you "could" use the eraser tool and manually erase the line on the figure layer. This is tedious compared to other methods. If the document is already flat (one layer) and you want to do it this (tedious) way, you should rather choose a small paintbrush (instead of the eraser) with the background color. Again, if the figure and the background color are not on separate layers, a better way might be to select the background color (magic wand tool or Select>Color Range...) and then Select>Modify>Expand 1 pixel, then fill with the background color. Better yet, learn about Refine Edge... to get a better selection and do the same thing.

None of the above methods is the best way, but only mentioned if the document is not multi-layered (with the figure on one layer and the background on another).

Other than those "simple" methods, to get a really good knockout selection, use the path tool and "draw" the edge of the figure, one or two pixels inside the figure, and use that as your selection, and make a layer mask of the selection, showing the selection, which will cause the background to be hidden. Then on a layer underneath, you can fill with any color. But if you had someone else do this for you, they should have known to do that way in the first place.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 16, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to JJMack

To further JJMack's advice:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-russell-brown-show/masking-basics-in-pho toshop-cs5/

Refine Edge is your friend.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points