Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Advice on making a cloud graphic

Feb 16, 2013 12:14 PM

I'm trying to make a cloud to be used for a cloud computing graphic. I used the elipse shape tool to draw a shape and then I just copied it three times, and used the Shape Builder tool to combine the separate shapes into a single one. Can anyone give me any suggestions to make this look more like a cloud?

Thanks.cloud shot.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to media kat

The trouble with clouds is...they're never perfectly shaped like a computer drawing is.  In your example, the shapes are too good.  Try using the pencil tool.  I draw these all the time, but hardly ever create a totally closed shape, especially on the strokes.  Try using non-connecting lines and maybe even the roughen filter so your graphic does not look too good.  And, also try using small stroke lines ( along the edges ) to make the cloud appear puffy.  You could also use a radial gradient using pastel colors and/or transparency.  Let your mind fly, the list is endless on what you could do.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 1:57 PM   in reply to media kat

… And – last but not least – take the time to look at the real sky and try to remember what you've seen there before you reside in front of a computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 2:06 PM   in reply to media kat

There are various online tutorial for creating cloud from Illustrator.

Based on the intent, you need for a cartoon or need more realistic approach the steps and efforts may vary.

What you have designed with the ellipse tool I guess is nice for a cartoon illustration but for having a real cloud like look

I personally like :- http://www.gtpdesigns.com/design-blog/view/tutorial-create-realistic-c louds-in-adobe-illustrator/

making the variation based on my requirement.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points