Skip navigation
JGPNeedsHELP
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign6 doesn't recognize plugins after a day of use.

Feb 16, 2013 1:44 PM

Tags: #indesign #6 #plugins

I am on OS X 7.5. I have reloaded InDesign6 several times. After about a day of use, it no longer recognizes some plugin's. Every time I open it, more are added to the list.

Can anyone help?

The Application Managre keeps going bad too where I have to reinstall that.

Replies
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Feb 16, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to JGPNeedsHELP

Which plugins? Upload a screenshot of the error?

Plugin errors typically indicate an attempt to open a CS6 document in CS5, or similar.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Feb 16, 2013 2:06 PM   in reply to JGPNeedsHELP

I do not have 5 installed I did a cleaning with Adobe's software.

Sorry, did you run the Creative Suite Cleaner Tool?

That is intended to be used after you have uninstalled a product, if and only if the uninstallation does not succeed. If you've run the cleaner tool, then you need to re-run the installer software and reinstall the program.

Is that what you did?

Or have I misunderstood?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to JGPNeedsHELP

John may be back later, but I think he's getting buried in snow at the moment.

Those errors are, to say the least, unuusual, particularly if they only pop up after you've used the program successfully. This leads me to think there's probably an external cause, perhaps some other program or utility that you are running that is conflicting with ID.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 5:34 AM   in reply to JGPNeedsHELP

Font manager? any other utilities like Mac Keeper? Could be something you think is innocuous.

A couple of things you can try that might help pin it down:

Create a new user account and log in with that. Does ID load?

Hold the Shift key wahile booting to disable extensions. Does ID load?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 5:35 AM   in reply to JGPNeedsHELP

Post the crash report on Pastebin.com and put a link here.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 6:11 AM   in reply to JGPNeedsHELP

Looks to me like it might have to do with UI, which isn't surprising if it can't load the panels.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Feb 17, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Well, there is snow, but I can't rightly claim it as my excuse.

JGP, this is not a normal problem. I have to suspect something's quite wrong with your system.

Have you confirmed that the plugins it complains about are actually present in your Applications/Adobe InDesign CS6 folder? Do you have teenage gremlins messing around with your computer?

I don't think the crash report tells us a whole lot, but if random pieces of InDesign are disappearing out from under it, it's no surprise that it crashes. Peter asked a bunch of questions in post #8, it would help to see their answers.

What else correlated with your one day of use? It's not normal for this sort of thing to happen, so I would look at external causes. Did it coincide with a reboot or somesuch? Did you restart the app? Did you do so at times prior to the one day mark?

I don't have any explanatino for you. It really sounds like someone is going and deleting parts of the application from your hard drive, and of course you can't be doing that deliberately. Maybe its a virus.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 6:52 AM   in reply to JGPNeedsHELP

I gave up on Carbonite for Mac a couple of years ago. After almost two years of installing "this should fix it" updates, it didn't. Each tech-support contact found more and more that Mac system processes were updating some local files so they never were marked "backed up," which hung Carbonite, even after the troublesome files were removed from the backup list. IOW, I never got even one full backup in two years!. Also, at that time, anyway, the revert-to-earlier-file-version feature wasn't enabled for Mac, only for Windows.

So, try deactivating Carbonite.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to JGPNeedsHELP

JGPNeedsHELP wrote:

I have another ID on this already but they share the software and the same thing occurs.

It's really important, for diagnostic purposes, to create the new account so that there is no possibility of previous contamination.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Feb 17, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to JGPNeedsHELP

How would I go about finding out if there is a virus and how to cure that?

Err, get some virus software and run it? This is not necessarily a trivial task. It's a continuous war between the virus creators and the virus eradicators.

The system does not fully start up with the shift key being held. I waited 10-15 minutes and it seemed stuck. I just had it looked at by a MAC stor and they found nothing wrong with the harddrive, but reloaded OS X on it.

Well, this seems a problem, in two ways.

If you reinstall the OS after having installed Adobe products, you should expect you'll have to uninstall and reinstall the Adobe software.

And of course, if its taking 15 minutes to boot, then something is clearly wrong. You could perhaps hold down Cmd-V while booting for more information.

So John, you think carbonite might be the issue?

I have no personal experience with it. But it's one of the few nonstandard things about your system, so sure, it could be.

Sorry to not be more helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to JGPNeedsHELP

You need to take a really hard look at everything else that is running. You've got a conflict with something.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Feb 24, 2013 5:55 PM   in reply to JGPNeedsHELP

Just to be clear, I don't think it is some application you are running actively. I think it is some piece of software installed on your computer that runs periodically in the background with your active involvement or engagement.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Feb 24, 2013 8:02 PM   in reply to JGPNeedsHELP

Grasping at straws, but you might look and see what Activity Monitor reports.

Unfortunately it is not always obvious what processes are part of the OS and what are not.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points