Skip navigation
DustinDowell22
Currently Being Moderated

Should I worry about aligning artwork to a pixel grid?

Feb 16, 2013 8:49 PM

Tags: #illustrator #help #adobe #mac #export #pixel #cs6 #grid #aligning

I'm still new with Illustrator and designing in general. I'm currenlty in college working towards getting a degree in graphic design, but have only taken one Illustrator class and I won't be able to take another one a while. In the mean time I still want to do some small freelance work.

I was wondering when designing a logo I should worry about aligning my artwork to a pixel grid for use on the web. Should I maybe create the artwork as normal and then save another version that is aligned to pixel grid for web and send them both?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2013 1:35 AM   in reply to DustinDowell22

Dustin,

The long answer is no.

Should I maybe create the artwork as normal YES and then save another version YES that is aligned to pixel grid NO for web and send them both YES?

But for web and similar use, you should align the whole logo to fit into integer point/pixel values on the Artboard and save at the exact size of the intended use.

If you (also) design for print, you should start with a CMYK document and convert to RGB for web/screen use as needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 2:24 AM   in reply to DustinDowell22

You are welcome, Dustin.

It is always your responsibility to create the (best possible) artwork and find a (good) way to do it, regardless of payment.

Aligning to the Pixel Grid is (only) introduced to facilitate more consistent and clear (colours of) web/devices/screen (especially small scale) artwork of certain kinds. It may destroy/disrupt the artwork when used where unneeded.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 5:47 AM   in reply to DustinDowell22

The Align To Pixel Grid feature was added to answer complaints that when (for example) Illustrator rasterizes a supposed "1 pixel" horizontal or vertical black stroke, its anti-aliasing does not render it as a single row or column of black pixels unless the path's position is along the centers of what Illustrator calls "pixels."

It's the all-time worst-implemented feature in Illustrator's history (and that's saying alot). I never  use it. If I need aliased lines in an image intended only for the web,  I'll add them in a raster program.

So when designing logos and other artwork [for the web], it's not my responsibility to align to a pixel grid.

If the image you are building for the web needs to have aliased lines and edges, yes, it's up to you to do that. Whether you futz around with Illustrator's Align To Pixel Grid feature to accomplish that is up to you. (Designers have been creating web images with aliased edges for decades before this ill-conceived feature ever appeared in Illustrator.)

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points