Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Running separate threads with CS5

Feb 16, 2013 6:16 PM

I am purchasing a second faster editing PC for video work.  The reason is to be able to continue working while rendering is in progress.   I am informed that while I can install CS5 on 2 PCs, I cannot run CS5 on both of them at the same time.  I therefore cannot edit on one while the other is rendering.  My other option is to try to multitask with 2 threads on the faster one.

Is mutithreading possible or what are my options to avoid annoying waits during renders?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2013 7:52 PM   in reply to John Ratard

What do you mean by "rendering"?

Explain your workflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 12:23 AM   in reply to John Ratard

Export  your edit to Adobe Media Encoder...set it up and push go.  Return to editing.

AME will do its job in the back ground while you edit.

There is no way currently  to have a render farm working on a second computer with Premiere.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to John Ratard

PP will steal any necessary resources from AME so you can keep editing.  How much that will effect your exports isn't possible to predict.  It'll depend on a phonebook's worth of variables.

If you can afford a 3930K-based system, I say go for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 12:44 PM   in reply to John Ratard

John,

If you go to http://ppbm7.com/index.php/results?showall=&start=4 (you have to be registered and logged in, otherwise you get the message that:

Not logged in.png

But when you are registered and are logged in, you can see that all top 16 observations are hexa core CPU's. The best quad core is around 75% slower than the fastest system, and can not match the top 10% of observations. It is a very good Q3 system, but it just is not up to the hexa core performance. But then, the price tag is also different.

Top-15.png

A render farm is a solution used by for instance Vue. It allows you to set rendering cows when doing final rendering. You can define all machines attached to your network as a cow and it will perform the rendering in the background on the machines indicated. For instance, I have two big machines, four laptops and a server locally here, so I can assign all of them to be rendering cows. If I needed more capacity for rendering, I could even add more machines over a VPN connection and a second server to help out. They all work concurrently and the load is distributed by the farm. It effectively speeds up rendering significantly and I have often made the feature request, but nobody at Adobe seems to listen to that specific request.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to John Ratard

I have only used dedicated raid controllers in the past 20 years, but I assume that on-board raid controllers act the same way, you can define multiple raid volumes in the BIOS, thus creating multiple raid0 arrays for instance, provided you have sufficient SATA ports.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 7:23 PM   in reply to John Ratard

Definitely put the SSD on a SATA 6G port and all Velociraptors on the SATA 3G ports. If you don't, you cripple the SSD from the start.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to John Ratard

In post 9 Harm mentioned the possibility of setting up multiple RAID arrays Using Intel RST on the X79 motherboard.  This is called Matrix RAID by Intel, and can be done quite easily using the Intel RAID management software, provided your system is what Intel call RAID Ready.  This entails having RAID enabled in the BIOS, and the requisite HDDs attached.

You can mix and match between the Intel 6 & 3 GBs ports for a RAID array, but if your board has Marvell RAID ports, you cannot set up a RAID array mixing the Intel and Marvell ports.  I have one 2-drive RAID on a pair of Intel ports, and a second 2-drive RAID on a pair of Marvell ports on my Gigabyte motherboard.

You can also have non-RAID drives on the Intel ports while you have other Intel ports used for RAID.  If you have more than one set of Marvell ports, then you can set RAID on one controller and AHCI on the other - again you will have to enable these in BIOS.

Beware that there are two versions of the Intel RST:  IRST, generally found on Consumer grade boards, and RSTe (enterprise), normally found on server class boards,. Though RSTe is found on some of the higher end consumer boards.  The two require different drivers, and differ in the way you set things up.  Make sure which you have before you start, as you cannot switch between them. 

It is easier to use the Raid Management software to set up your arrays than do this in BIOS.

You can obtain very useful Intel User Guides here, which describe all the terms used, and give detailed accounts of how to set up your RAID:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/sftwr-prod/imsmhttp://

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points