Skip navigation
cjmtts
Currently Being Moderated

Why doesn't Dreamweaver CS6 V12.2 Display inline-block list elements correctly?

Feb 16, 2013 6:35 PM

Tags: #dreamweaver #css #cs6 #inline-block

I've created an unordered list with list elements to use as a nav menu. The display type of the list elements has been set to inline-block via css to flow the list horizontal. But, Dreamweaver CS6 Design View displays the list elements vertical. When viewed in various browsers the list elements are horizontal as expected.

Thank you,

Charlie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2013 6:40 PM   in reply to cjmtts

Never rely on Design view. If you want to view close to what the browser will show, use Live view.

Personally I use the actual browsers in a second monitor to view the results.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 4:05 AM   in reply to cjmtts

Design View is as very old browse. Its almost like saying if it works in IE6 or before it MIGHT work in Design view

Although live view is better try previewing there.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to cjmtts

If you want to develop good working habits in DW,  go to View > Style Rendering > Turn off Display Styles.

Turning off styles will force you to ignore what you see in Design View and pay closer attention to your code.  This will not effect your site in Live View or Preview.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 3:32 PM   in reply to cjmtts

Seems everyone is eager to tell the OP what he already knows. His question was WHY doesn't DW display things right?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to Downtown Brown

Because that's the way things are. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 7:03 PM   in reply to cjmtts

Why doesn't Dreamweaver CS6 V12.2 Display inline-block list elements correctly? I'm of the opinion that Design View was built to support table based layouts, and from an engineering perspective, I would imagine it's been a real beast to try and adapt to accurately represent web standards based layouts.

As Nancy said, focusing on the code helps me to better structure my layouts, and helps me to pinpoint trouble spots. Live View and Preview in a browser are also helpful, but with more complex layouts, a good CSS Editor will save you a lot of time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points