Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Need help exporting transparent .png while preserving Multiply blending mode

Feb 17, 2013 1:19 PM

Tags: #transparent #layers #blending #multiply

Hello there,

I have been wrestling with this for some time now and CANNOT find a solution.  I have a PSD file that has a couple layers that are shadows and highlights for t-shirt textures.  Then I have other layers that are the colors of the shirts, so I can swap the color out and it looks like the appropriate t-shirt color with the shirt textures and shadows.  My ultimate goal is to export the shirt textures with no color background and keeping it a transparent png. I want to use this transparent image on a website that has color behind it and can change the color using html Divs.

The issue is when I turn off the lower layer colors of the shirt the image is not trasnparent it is white.  The multiply layers don't stay transparent.  Is there a way to export the multiply layers as transparent?  Is there a way to remake the layers as a raster image, rather than using the layer blending modes?

Thanks,

Lorne

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 17, 2013 4:28 PM   in reply to lorne17

If your PSD file has a background layer make sure its visibility is off when you save your PNG using "Save As" png for a Photoshop background does not support transparency so if visible the PNG file will be a rectangle image with no transparent pixels.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 18, 2013 5:00 AM   in reply to lorne17

There is no PSD file in that forum.  To post a PSD file you need to upload it to some file sharing server and post a link to it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2013 5:22 AM   in reply to lorne17

The multiply layers don't stay transparent.  Is there a way to export the multiply layers as transparent? 

You might misunderstand what Blend Modes mean.

A white Layer set to Multiply is simply not transparent.

However when I turn off the lower layer (the color of the shirt), it shows the multiply layer as white and not trasparent.

Then how can you deny that there are white regions in that layer?

Please post a screenshot with the Layers Panel visible.

cameraIconInsertImage.jpg

Is there a way to remake the layers as a raster image, rather than using the layer blending modes?

That depends on the content.

Completely desaturated Layers set to Mutiply and Screen might easily be »reconstructed« as Normal Layers, but if any color cast is present the point is (edit) pretty much moot.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 5:46 AM   in reply to lorne17

blendModeMultiplyToNormalScr.jpg

One way to use the luminance of a Layer to create transparency is putting it in a Group set to the Blend Mode Normal, set the Layer’s Blend If-settings for »This Layer« and »Gray« to 0 and 1/254 (or thereabouts) and add an Adjustment Layer (like Curves) to make everything black.

Of course this will not produce the intended result for Layers that are not desaturated.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 11:55 PM   in reply to lorne17

I would try usinge Smart Object instances (because then touch-up will affect both instances) as the basis of two Normal Layer Groups, Clipping Masking a desaturating Adjustment Layer to them, setting their Blend If settings accordingly and adding an Adjustment Layer that makes everything black and white respectively.

shirtMockUpScr.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to lorne17

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers