Skip navigation
bmornings
Currently Being Moderated

Can I use work from Mac PShop CS3 in PC PShop CS6?

Feb 17, 2013 4:16 PM

I want to switch from a Power Mac G4 (2G memory, 1TB HD) to an Asus Essentio 1745-05 PC (8GB memory, 1TB HD).

I have 15+ years of photos on the Mac and on Mac PShop CS3 Bridge, and do not want to find that they cannot be worked

on, reprocessed, etc., on the Asus PC running PC PShop CS6/Bridge.

I asked this question yesterday and did not receive any replies. Am I not being clear in my question? Is it self-evident that

I can do so?

Thank you,

Bob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to bmornings

Sorry... This forum is to discuss the forums, not products

You need to ask your question in the forum for the Adobe product you are using

Please go to http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa and select the forum you need

>asked this question yesterday and did not receive any replies

These are user to user forums, not Adobe support... only the space is provided by Adobe for users to help each other

If no other user knows the answer, you will not receive a reply

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to bmornings

Bob,

There is a forum, just for Bridge: http://forums.adobe.com/community/bridge

While I do not think you will have an issue, but Moving your post to that forum would be my suggestion. I do not want to do so, without direction from you, as if you have already posted there, it would create a duplicate, and that is never good.

I will PM you, and if desired, will Move the post to that forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 5:53 PM   in reply to bmornings

Try copying your files to a USB Hard Drive from the Mac and bring over to the PC. see if you can open any of the files. Your on your own when you switch to the Darkside now that they have combined Forums, there is not telling what answers you will get.

Follow the above advice to find the Forum for Photoshop and other apps.  Get more detailed information.  The people here are sticklers for following Protocol. I all for Following Protocols in most situations. But it doesn't hurt to, on occasion help get the ball rolling.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 6:03 PM   in reply to bmornings

Bob,

"this forum is to discuss the forums." Not sure what that means...as it seems it could be done on those forums.

What John T. means is that this is a non-product forum, and is for the discussion of Adobe Forum issues, and questions - just the forums, and not the products. An example would be a post on the inability to log-in, or some glitch in the forums, themselves. This has confused many Adobe Forum (and product) users in the past. Do not feel bad.

Again, let me know if you'd like me to Move this thread to either Bridge, or Photoshop.

Like I said, I do not think that you will have an issue, BUT I am not using Bridge CS 6, and am also not on a Mac, so hesitate to give you a "Yes," or a "No." The Bridge experts, with the latest version, and on a Mac, can do that for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Phillip,

I agree with you. Even for posts about products here, if I know with 100% certainty, what the answer is, I will share it, plus also offer to Move the post to the appropriate forum, for more answers.

As there are some variables in the OP's question, where I do not want to speculate (we ARE talking about a photo collection, after all), I will conjecture, with cited reservations.

Maybe I am not that much of a stickler, but only want to help all posters, in any way that I can.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 7:46 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I not saying disobey the rules time after time day after day. But I think you ought to be able to bend them on occasion just enough to give them some very slight guidance.  I my answer to him. I did tell him to follow the previous responders advice.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to bmornings

Bob,

Moving the thread to the Bridge Forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to bmornings

What you have on the pictures is not OS specific, so the info will be fine.

You will however have to get a different version of Photoshop as that is OS specific.   Bridge CS3 was absolutely the worst version.  Since the current version is CS6 it will be quite a jump.  Make sure your video card is at least mid-range quality as CS6 puts a lot of strain on it.  The on board chips like Intel 4000 will work, but a discrete card is best.  The drivers are the key and ATI and nVidia are much more proactive at releasing new versions than Intel.  Unlike a Mac, in a Windows OS you download the GPU driver directly from the manufacturer, don't rely on updates from MS as they can be months out of date. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 18, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Also depending on the files you are talking about. If it is the normal image file extension like jpeg, tiff and PSD they are platform independent so will open on both system without problems.

I don't think layered files will be problematic especially since you upgrade to CS6 instead of downgrading but I'm not 100 % sure about that.

Your raw files that had support in CS3 will also be supported in CS6, CS6 has a lot more new camera's added to the support list and also a much better Raw converter that uses the 2012 process version with another approach of the highlight and shadows.

You will however need to recache the files for thumbs and previews in CS6 because this is an other cache format and both caches between Mac and Windows are also notable to be working together.

Be aware of ACR settings, if you have your files converted to Adobe DNG then all the settings are in the file itself and ACR CS6 will read them al be it not in the new 2012 process version but in the earlier 2003 version.

If you have the raw files set to xmp side car files it is likely they will be read by the windows version but if you have your settings saved in a central raw cache database I don't think this database can be read by windows. Make sure you transfer those XMP files together with their original raw files to keep rating and labeling and ACR settings as you have set them.

In doubt I would convert all raw files to DNG using the free Adobe DNG converter to be sure. And of course have a proper back up.

If you have a custom keyword list make sure you export this list on your Mac (it will save as a txt file and that should be able to open on your windows machine for importing in the new CS6 keyword list.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 18, 2013 3:32 PM   in reply to bmornings

How do I recashe the files for thumbnails and previews?

No difference as in CS3, just point Bridge to the folder you want to cache and it starts running to build cache and previews for the files in that folders. There is another way to cache all in one time but that is for you to decide and depending on amount of files and size of storage. If you point Bridge to the main folder in the folder panel this will show the folders in the content panel. If you then go to the menu view and select show items from subfolders all the files will build in the content panel. Usually a good job to let run overnight and no other applications running to put full resources to Bridge.

But if you have a lot of raw and DNG files without settings applied be aware that you can set ACR to a custom default setting your self. and if you safe a new custom default the thumbs starts recaching so best try a few files to find out if you want a new custom default setting before starting the big job.

I really appreciate your taking the time to provide all the information you did.

I have to confess that I hesitated a bit because you are making a step which I - as an addicted Mac user - would never make (…) but Curt is also a Windows man and a very nice person

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points