Skip navigation
Mark532011
Currently Being Moderated

newbie question for pe11. Why is it splitting my clips into tiny pieces and how can I stop it?

Feb 17, 2013 5:21 PM

Tags: #merge #11 #clips #timeline

I've upgraded from PE7 to PE11 and the new one is a lot more complicated but sadly the online help is not very helpful. I think I can puzzle most of it out but my biggest issue is that the timeline display is now full of dozens of tiny clips and I can't see to do what I want to do in the timeline.

The attached screenshot shows a 3 minute piece of one video file and it shows up as dozens of tiny clips. I've cut the video at the timeline but the view is so complicated I can't even see what I am doing. is there a view setting that works like the old PE7 where each clip of video is one square on the timeline? I don't really understand...When I have a clip of video I am happy with, I just want it to be a single entity, why does it keep showing it in chunks?

pe11.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to Mark532011

One can turn "Scene Detection" ON, or OFF. Some users like it one way, or the other. This is done in the Capture module, when one doing a Capture from a miniDV tape, whether SD, or HD. You probably want Scene Detection OFF.

For getting up to speed on PrE 11, I cannot recommed Steve Grisetti's Basic Training Series too much. Here is a list of some useful resources: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3953827#3953827

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 7:36 PM   in reply to Mark532011

Mark,

If I understand your reply, once one has done the Capture, then whatever was set, at that time, will still hold. The setting will be for new Captures only, and will not affect anything that has already been Captured.

If I misunderstood, please ignore my comments above.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 5:27 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Just bought Steve's book (it's in the post to me) -- already followed his Lynda.com tutorials, really clear, easy to follow, detailed, lots of tips along the way.  Even after working thru Adobe's own Classroom in a Book, itself a first class intro to the subject by Jan Ozer & Team, I decided to buy Steve's book after leafing thru the online glimpses at Amazon.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 5:33 AM   in reply to gbrmk

You are a gentleman (or lady) and a scholar, gb! Thanks for the supporting the book and the course. Hope they're helpful!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 6:05 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Haha, I love the sense of humour, Steve!  Don't know about the 'gentleman' bit (you'd best ask my wife, on second thoughts, don't) but I admit to being of the masculine gender.  As to 'scholar' ...  I was once told by a teacher (like 500 years ago) always accept praise even when you don't deserve it because you're going to get loads of stick in your career, whether you deserve *that* or not!  A principle I've followed scrupulously since.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 5:36 PM   in reply to Mark532011

Mark,

I have the same issue.  Driving me up the wall.  Program was fine, then suddenly started doing what you've described here.  Cannot turn this annoying feature off.  Exiting and restarting doesn't fix this for me, and from what the PDF manual describes (and I only find it in the manual, which points me to an 'Adjust' menu a lot more robust than the real thing I'm dealing with), Scene Detection has nothing to do with this problem.

Have you found an answer to your question? 

Thanks

Phil

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to keglined

The problem was gone for awhile--no idea why--but now it is back.  No discernible reason.

Anyone? 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points