Skip navigation
franksurgio77
Currently Being Moderated

Is Flash Really Obsolete?

Feb 17, 2013 10:39 PM

Tags: #air

Hi all,

A Noob question, I know. Apologies in advance, as this could be the wrong place to post this...

Wasn't sure who to ask, so I hope you can help.

I am looking at having what has been advised as a Flash-based desktop application made for my own personal use, though could possibly be commercialized for a very small purchase amount, as others in my industry have advised it would be useful to them.

Someone else I know runs a very similar program (on a Mac) and needed AdobeAir to make it run.

With the web, and HTML5 etc I am told "flash" is "obsolete" - what implications does this have for users of Desktop programs that solely use Flash, like what I want to do?

So we won't use Flash on web anymore, but will we/can we continue to use it in a desktop environment? If someone could please explain a litte. Sorry....

Many thanks

G

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2013 12:14 AM   in reply to franksurgio77

Flash (especially the IDE and Actionscript 3 as a programming language to target multiple devices) will not go anywhere soon.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2013 5:03 AM   in reply to franksurgio77

No, Flash is not obsolete, especially for what you plan to do.  Yes, the mobile world and Flash are going their separate ways, but the web and Flash not necessarily so.  People have to accept that using handheld devices limits their web experience by restricting Flash use just as Flash developers have had to accept that there is a failing demand for Flash implementations for the mobile web world.  But Flash still has answers to address mobile needs, especially in the way of applications such as what you are probably after.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points