Skip navigation
JuliaKozi
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge crashes on export. Deleted prefs, lost keywords

Feb 18, 2013 3:17 AM

Hi! In an attempt to resolve the issue where Bridge crashed every time I tried to export to a hard drive I reset the preferences (which worked - for now). HOWEVER, in doing so Bridge has managed to unkeyword and unrate absolutely every single raw file I've ever worked on in it and has only retained keywords and ratings on .psd files that were saved in folders with the other raw files.

Given this was hours and hours of work and I was getting pretty close to putting the final files on a website, is there anything that can undo this action so I can get the ratings and keywords back please?

Thanks

Branched from an earlier discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to JuliaKozi

juliaKozi,

It would be best if you started a new thread for this.  The thread you are on is an attempt to derive a document with common Bridge problems and the solutions.

Just to give you a glimer or hope keywords are written to the image and so can not be erased.  Same for labels. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 19, 2012 12:31 AM   in reply to JuliaKozi

HOWEVER, in doing so Bridge has managed to unkeyword and unrate absolutely every single raw file I've ever worked on in it and has only retained keywords and ratings on .psd files that were saved in folders with the other raw files.

Like Curt stated already, a new thread would be better and rating and keywords for Raw files are by default written to side car XMP files. If you changed the settings to write to a central cache database resetting preferences (and if you also selected purge cache) should not affect those settings.

PSD files as other formats and DNG (converted Raw files) have all the XMP data like description, keywords, rating and labeling written into those files itself instead of a separate XMP File. The XMP file also contains the settings you have applied in ACR. All this due to the fact you cant write data into the Raw file itself (at least not in an easy way).

So first check if your folder does still contain those XMP files. I'm not sure what procedure to follow when having all written in a central cache file (never used this setting and always convert my Raw files to DNG).

I also don't use the export panel because it has very limited options and many problems. I always use actions that I created in Photoshop to resize or save as other file formats. Select the files I want, use the menu tools / Photoshop / Batch and choose the action I want and let it run.

But meanwhile can you try and select a file you know you have altered and with right mouse click menu choose purge cache for selection?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 18, 2013 3:18 AM   in reply to JuliaKozi

Split from the FAQ thread.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...