Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop to Illustrator (CS6), problem with linked images

Feb 18, 2013 2:15 AM

Tags: #illustrator #photoshop #cs6

Hi,

I have a very frustrating problem when importing .psd files to Illustrator CS6. I recieve files from an artist and have to make some sort of pre-print on them, add texts etc..

They are multi layer and upon opening in Illustrator I select Convert Layers to Objects. After that every bitmap layer in the file is converted to a link, and this is where my problems start. First of all it would simply be most conveniant if I had the option to embed all upon import.

But even with this option lacking, I should be able to highlight a link in the Links panel, and select Embed image from the drop-down menu. Unforetunately this option is always disabled, same with the Embed button on the control toolbar when the liked image is selected. Furthermore, the link information option always shows empty name and locations fields, so its impossible to know which files I should attach if I would like to send them to print as links together with the .ai file. Even when I do know which file it is in, how should I collect them together so that there are no broken links on the other side?

I simply don't understand how to manage those links or whats the best way to avoid them. It has gotten to the point where I save each layer in Photoshop separately as .pdf and place them in illustrator manually, but there has to be an easier way. Even when saving in .tiff in photoshop and selecting "place" with the "link" option unchecked in illustrator, it will still place it as a link. On the other hand when placing pdf files in illustrator they import as "Non-native art" which as I read can also cause troubles with colors etc.. Can somebody please help me make sense of it???

I work in Windows 7 64 bit and have Adobe Design & Web Premium CS6.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2013 3:54 AM   in reply to Cuubaa

When you place a layered psd file in Illustrator and choose "Convert Layers to Objects" alle layers are seperate imagages in Illustrator and are embedded.

That is the reason, why embed is greyed out.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 4:49 AM   in reply to Cuubaa

Every embedded raster image is found in the link panel.

When a file from the link panel is missing than it is only linked.

Even if a linked file is missing the ai file could be used for printing when the pdf fork is included (default).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 6:04 AM   in reply to Cuubaa

When an Illustrator AI file is saved with PDF compatibility it contains of 2 forks, the one contains the whole file for editing in Illustrator (which makes it important ot choose the correct comptibility of Illustrator version) and the other contains the pdf part. If you use such an ai file with pdf compatibility to place in InDesign, Photoshop or even in Illustrator these programs use the pdf part.

The pdf part should be complete even if the linked files are missing, so it is possible to open an ai file in Acrobat or Reader. The pdf part is also a rich PDF which contains all coors and transparency.

From Illustrator CS6.1 forward it is possible to extract embedded images. And it is a good tradition in all programs to have all embedded files listed in the link panel.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points