Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Conditional formatting

Feb 18, 2013 5:32 AM

Tags: #drop_caps #conditional_styles

Hi!

My paragraph styles are growing in numbers and I just have a feeling that there's a better way to do what I'm doing, so I have to ask you about it.

I'm working on the insert of a Bible. The chapters start with a chapter number, then a verse number and then the text. We're using drop caps for the chapter numbers, so for chapters 1-9 I have a paragraph style set to use drop caps for one character and for chapters from 10 and up I have a different paragraph style with drop caps set to two characters.

Question 1: Is there a way I could achieve this with just one paragraph style? The chapter numbers can all be idintified by their character style.

In addition, some chapters start of with a heading. In those cases there is no space between the heading and the following paragraph, but 3mm space above the heading. In the cases where there is no heading I will need those 3mm of space above the chapter paragraph instead.

Question 2: Is there a way to automatically set the space above to be 0mm if the previous paragraph is a heading but 3mm if there is no heading?

Right now I have 4 paragraph styles for what I think is essentially one style, and I don't think I've seen the end of it yet.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to SimonLinden

We all run into things like this and develop our own ways of dealing with them. Actually, 4 styles for what you're doing isn't all that many, so don't get caught up in that. Then again, degree of economization is indeed up to you. On the chapter number/drop-cap thing, you could use a nested style instead, and apply your chapter number character style through (1) [whatever character always follows the number...a space?]. That will accomodate any number of digits in the chapter number.

As far as I know, conditional application of paragraph styles isn't really available in the way that you seek.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to SimonLinden

You can fake it by applying scaling (or an absolute type size) and some baseline shift to those characters.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Actually, that probably won't work because the text on the next line won't wrap correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to SimonLinden

but there's no way as far as I know to give a character style the drop caps feature

Sematically speaking, that's true, but everything is available in a Character Style to style your chapter numbers the same way your drop caps treatment is styling them. They don't have to be systemically designated "drop caps" in order to look and function like drop caps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 8:42 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Actually, that probably won't work because the text on the next line won't wrap correctly

Could be true, but I inferred that the chapter numbers, despite being styled by the drop caps feature, aren't actually wrapped by anything.

Of course I could be wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to John Mensinger

I don't know why you would infer that. No need for a drop cap unless you want to wrap around it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points