Skip navigation
savignr718
Currently Being Moderated

CS4 AE Won't Launch on a HP Z820

Feb 18, 2013 6:55 AM

I'm upgrading many of my workstations from HP Z800 CS4  XP Pro to HP Z820 CS6 Windows 7 but I still need to maintain several CS4's due to Plugin's issues. My problem is that I'm unable to get CS 4 Aftereffects to Launch on a Z820, I've tested  2 units and the results are the same but I don't seem to have a problem with any other products in the CS 4 package. In "Processes" AE  starts and acquires about 70Mb of memory and it stop's increasing, I've tried launching as Local admin, updates have been performed on Windows 7 and AE4 and I've tried Setting the compatibility to "XP SP3" all NG!

The HP Z820 are running Hp version Windows 7, Nvidia Quadro 5000, 36 G of Memory nothing special.

One of the Z820 has both CS4 and CS 5.5 and CS 5.5 works  and the CS 4 AE fail's

The the other workstation I've tested just has  CS 4 AE and nothing else and that fail's.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Ray S.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to savignr718

Does it pop up an error message? Does the machine lock up?

It's always tricky trying to get a program to run on an operating system that wasn't even out when the program was released, however, I know CS4 works on Windows 7 (since this guy is using it). So the question becomes, why is it not working on yours? What else is installed on your machines? Has CS4 ever worked on them?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to savignr718

As Michael says, Windows 7 didn't come out until long after After Effects CS4 did, so it's not surprising that there may be some problems with CS4 applications on this operating system.

That said, I am running After Effects CS4 right now on an HP (though one a few years older than yours).

I think that we may have a Z820 here; if so, I'll check and see if I can install and run After Effects CS4 on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 3:51 PM   in reply to savignr718

We don't have a Z820 here, but one of my colleagues in another office does. I've asked him to try.

In the meantime, I have to ask: Why do you still need CS4 on these machines? Is it just for a plug-in that never got ported to 64-bit?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to savignr718

My coworker with a Z820 was able to install and use After Effects CS4 with no problem.

I would recommend that you contact Adobe Technical Support for help, but Windows 7 is not a supported operating system for After Effects CS4, so they might not even consider this question to be within the support policy. But you could try.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 6:09 AM   in reply to savignr718

Hi saign,

I’m having exactly the same problem with AE C4. Also trying to run it on a dual Xeon machine. Just wondering if you found a solution..

Thanks

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points