Skip navigation
NeoNoctis
Currently Being Moderated

Need to fill in a dotted area

Feb 18, 2013 5:26 AM

Tags: #dots #white #curves #paint_bucket #white_background #dotted_area

Hello,

first off, sorry if this question has been asked before, but I have no idea how to even formulate this question properly.

psproblem.PNG

Anyways, it's regarding this image. Originally it was very dirty in the background (still is if you look at the striped mountains and cottage), and I've tried making it white by playing around a bit with the curve adjustments. Obviously the results weren't as white as I wanted them to be, so I decided to dodge some areas (on the other parts of this picture which I didn't include). Later on I decided to pick up the bucket tool. It works very well, but now I'm having this problem. If you look at the red ground, it's all dotted. However, the bucket tool filled up some of these dots too, making the ground very thin.

Any idea what I can do about this? And also, if you have any better suggestions how I can make the background white (the quicker the method the better!) in case the curve adjustment settings doesn't properly work?

I'm using Photoshop CS6.

Thank you in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2013 5:51 AM   in reply to NeoNoctis

I discourage using the Paint Bucket Tool.

Are you trying to remove the red dots or colorize the image?

Yould you provide (part of) the original, unedited scan here?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 6:58 AM   in reply to NeoNoctis

The image seem to have been downsampled, could you please provide a section unedited and in the original size?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to NeoNoctis

Here's a section of a quick edit I tried. I looked at the channels, and copied the red one (as it had the least background noise), and pasted it into a greyscale document. I then used the white point and black point eyedroppers in the curves pallet to remove the grey in the background and somehwhat darken the remaining lines.

Screen shot 2013-02-18 at 10.16.59 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to NeoNoctis

The Red channel seems to show the least effect of the red color, so I’d recommend using a Channel Mixer Layer to use the red channel for all three channels andthen a Curves Layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to NeoNoctis

What do you consider »the background« exactly? Everything except the figures?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to NeoNoctis

This was done simply with Select > Color Range, selecting the "white" areas, and playing with the adjustments.

Edit to add: Then delete the selection.

Color Range.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 7:32 AM   in reply to NeoNoctis

I used first used smart blur to clean up the background a bit, and then the adjusted levels.

Screen shot 2013-02-18 at 10.29.13 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 7:36 AM   in reply to NeoNoctis

Try making a new layer over the backgroun layer or a copy of the background layer, click on new layer icon at the bottom of the layers palette, change the blend mode to color, choose white as your foreground color and paint with white on the empty layer where you want it to be white. This is probably one of many ways of doing it but seemed to be a simple way.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to NeoNoctis

Yes. But it's a lot less rubbish to rake.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to NeoNoctis

Keep scrolling down. It's near the bottom of the list

Color.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status