Skip navigation
croth_111
Currently Being Moderated

I've lost all my ratings and people tags moving videos from old PC to new one

Feb 18, 2013 8:15 AM

Tags: #elements_10 #elements_10_organizer #keyword_tags

I bought a new PC and installed Premier Elements 10 on it (same as I used on the old PC) and moved all my video files from my old PC to my new one.  Now all the videos show as having no star ratings or People tags I created in PE10 on the old PC.  How do I get them back?

More details: My old PC was win7, the new one is Win8.  I have tried 2 methods of copying: by click and dragging in File Explorer from the old PC over the network to the new one, and then using the backup/restore built into Elements.  In both cases, when adding the resulting files to a catalog and looking at it nothing had star ratings or tags.  If I open properties for a file in Elements on the old PC I see the tags and ratings, while on the new one it's blank.

I still have the old PC so if someone can tell me another way to copy the files and/or tags over I'll do it.  I've lost a lot of work in all the tagging I did on the old files.

Note: Given the setup of the new PC I can't maintain the same file structure as on the old PC (files on old C drive are now on E drive). 

If you're going to point me to files/databases to copy I need to know where they are in win7 or how to find them.  The locations given at http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/common-catalog-issues-upg rade-elements.html do not work for me, nor to searching for the catalog name or .psa files.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to croth_111

Under the File menu in the Organizer you'll find two very important tools.

Save Metadata to files.

Copy/Move to Removable Drive.

If you use these tools rather than just using Windows Explorer to copy your media files from one computer to another, it should keep you metadata in place.

I don't know that for sure though, since I've never tried to do what you're doing on such a scale.

In fact, you may want to check in with the folks on the Photoshop Elements forum. Since the Organizer has been historically linked more closely to Photoshop Elements, they may have a better idea how to use it to move your files and catalogs from computer to computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to croth_111

If your picture and video files are in the same paths on the new PC as the old then all you should need to do is copy the folder "C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs" from your old to your new PC. It works - I've done it in the last few weeks after taking the plunge and doing a clean install of Windows 8 on my old PC.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to croth_111

Possibly still worth trying. Then after opening the Organizer use File> Reconnect> All Missing Files and leave it to search your new PC for the original files. So long as you haven't renamed the files themselves it should eventually sort itself out.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers