Skip navigation
AndrewAnimation
Currently Being Moderated

Pasting text from a word program while retaining the same italics formatting?

Feb 18, 2013 12:20 PM

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to be able to copy text from another program (Microsoft Word) and then, using the Text tool in Photoshop (CS6), paste that text, but where it retains the correct italics formatting I had in the other program--and not as an image of text (Ctrl+P), in which the formatting is present, as a flat image, but rather as an actual unrasterized and editable Text layer. For example, the sentence “I told you..” where 'told' is italics, simply pastes into Photoshop as "I told you.." without the original formatting. Is there a way to get Photoshop to recognize formatting from pastes without my having to manually re-apply the formatting myself? This would be a hassle over a long period of time. If necesary I would be willing to use a plug-in that allows for this sort of recognition.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2013 12:06 AM   in reply to AndrewAnimation

Consider this more of a bump than any real help.

I did a quick test and it seems even Indesign, which I think is intended to handle text more specifically than Photoshop, does not get the formatting of text (that was not copied from Indesign itself) in the Clipboard.

So the task may be a pretty complex one.

Maybe someone over in the Scripting Forum has more insight on this.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 12:52 AM   in reply to AndrewAnimation

Personally I would avoid to make text objects in Photoshop if not specific raster-image effects or combinations are needed.

Best would be to place the psd (as RGB) in InDesign and import the Word file there. The exported PDF for print will be much smaller, the quality of text when printed much better, edges will be crispy.

InDesign has also far more possibilites to format and edit text and offers a lot of automatisations.

(And for me as an Austrian I can buy additional Austrian-German dictionaries which are not available for Photoshops and Illustrators text engine.)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 12:56 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

Personally I would avoid to make text objects in Photoshop if not specific raster-image effects or combinations are needed.

A valid point.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to AndrewAnimation

InDesign does correctly accept Word's formatting with 2 important considerations.

1. In the InDesign preferences, Clipboard Handling needs to be set up to paste "All Information (Index Markers, Swatches, Styles, etc)
    2. In Word you can't use formatting like faux Bold or faux Italic in place of using a font that has an actual Bold or Italic font style.

InDesign only allows for using fonts that have a Bold or Italic font style and no longer allows for faux styles like MS Word or older type layout applications like PageMaker or Quark (clicking a B or I button) ID_Clipboard.jpg

You can copy the Text Block in InDesign (the arrow tool - not the text tool) and paste this into Photoshop as a Vector Smart Object.

You can then use a layer style on this Vector Smart Object layer.

layer_style_text.jpg

But all this really just a sideshow. If you are copying a small amount of text, it shouldn't take long to reformat in PS.

If you are doing a large amount of text or small amounts many, many times you should do as Willi Adelberger says and place the images in InDesign. You can place or paste text for MS Word in InDesign  (and adjust or edit it if you want)

In InDesign you can color the text, apply special effects like drop shadows, embossing, etc.

Can you tell us the amount of text you deal with, how often you need to do this, and what (if anything) do you want to do to the text after you get it into PS?

I think everyone would agree with Willi's statement: "Personally I would avoid to make text objects in Photoshop if not specific raster-image effects or combinations are needed."

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 3:51 PM   in reply to AndrewAnimation

Scripting might be an answer, but I would be a bit doubtful. Please report on what you are able to conclude from Scripting in PS, as I would learn something new here.

Even between word processors, formatting can be touchy. I use WordPerfect for most word processing applications, but have Word, because it does a better job interfacing with InDesign (mentioned above). When I need to get more than just raw text into any other program, I will use Word, instead of WordPerfect.

Because of "wonky" formatting, I try to work with raw text only, and then do any formatting, in say Photoshop, or Illustrator. InDesign, with the preference setting listed above for Clipboard does a better job at getting things correct, but still often imperfect in my experiences.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 11:39 PM   in reply to Bo LeBeau

In the InDesign preferences, Clipboard Handling needs to be set up to paste "All Information (Index Markers, Swatches, Styles, etc)

Good to know!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points